Determine Sign of Half-Angle Identities

In summary, the student is trying to solve a Half-Angle identity. They are getting the wrong sign for the function and are not sure how to determine the sign in a Half-Angle identity. They are also getting the wrong y-coordinate for the point in the equation.
rhoadsy74

Homework Statement

Use the figure to evaluate the function that f(x)=sin(x)

f(θ/2)

Homework Equations

n/a

The Attempt at a Solution

x2+y2=1

x= -2/7

(-2/7)2+y2=1

y=√(6)/7
sin(θ/2)= +/- √(1-cos(θ)/2) (the whole function is over 2 inside of the square root)

=+/- √(1-√(6)/7/2)

=+/- √(7-√(6)/14)

I keep coming out with the wrong sign. How do you determine the sign in a Half- Angle identity?

Attachments

• Anthony Qs1.pdf
    85.7 KB · Views: 210
Physics news on Phys.org
rhoadsy74 said:
x2+y2=1

x= -2/7

(-2/7)2+y2=1

y=√(6)/7
^ Not sure how you got that. Also, the y value has to be negative. Do you know why?

rhoadsy74 said:
sin(θ/2)= +/- √(1-cos(θ)/2) (the whole function is over 2 inside of the square root)

=+/- √(1-√(6)/7/2)

=+/- √(7-√(6)/14)

I keep coming out with the wrong sign. How do you determine the sign in a Half- Angle identity?
Is it supposed to be theta or alpha? Your diagram has the angle labeled alpha. Assuming theta, and assuming you know what quadrant it is in, you can guess what quadrant θ/2 is in. You also should know that certain trig functions are positive in certain quadrants.

I used the Pythagorean theorem to find the (square root) 6/7 but it should be negative because of the fact that it is the third quadrant. What I don't understand is how to determine whether the whole function is (+) or (-). Can you help me?

it is supposed to alpha.

Why should it be negative? I understand that there are certain trig functions that are (+) and (-) in certain quadrants, but why is the the whole function negative?

rhoadsy74 said:
I used the Pythagorean theorem to find the (square root) 6/7 but it should be negative because of the fact that it is the third quadrant.
I'm afraid you made a mistake somewhere. Even with the negative, I am not getting
[tex]y = -\frac{\sqrt{6}}{7}[/tex]

The answer to this question is 3/(square root) 14. That is what my homework is telling me. How do you come to that answer?

I believe I did make a mistake somewhere, just not sure where.

rhoadsy74 said:
The answer to this question is 3/(square root) 14. That is what my homework is telling me. How do you come to that answer?
I was not answering the overall question. I was pointing out that you got the wrong y-coordinate of the point in the beginning of your work:

rhoadsy74 said:
x2+y2=1

x= -2/7

(-2/7)2+y2=1

y=√(6)/7

Another thing:
rhoadsy74 said:

=+/- √(1-√(6)/7/2)
I forgot to mention that this is also wrong. On the unit circle, does cos θ equal the y-coordinate?

Cos of theta equals the x- coordinate. I realize that I got it wrong, but can you explain to me where i went wrong and how the homework came to that answer?

rhoadsy74 said:
Cos of theta equals the x- coordinate. I realize that I got it wrong, but can you explain to me where i went wrong and how the homework came to that answer?
It would be better if you try it again yourself.

rhoadsy74 said:

=+/- √(1-√(6)/7/2)

Instead of plugging in the y-coordinate (which you still haven't fixed), plug in the x-coordinate, (-2/7):
[itex]\sin \left ( \frac{\theta}{2} \right) = \pm \sqrt{\frac{1 - \cos \theta}{2}}[/itex]
[itex]\sin \left ( \frac{\theta}{2} \right) = \pm \sqrt{\frac{1 - (-2/7)}{2}}[/itex]

This will simplify to [itex]\frac{3}{\sqrt{14}}[/itex]. Try it.

1. What are half-angle identities?

Half-angle identities are trigonometric formulas that are used to determine the sign of an angle that is half the size of a given angle.

2. How do I determine the sign of a half-angle identity?

To determine the sign of a half-angle identity, you can use the quadrant system of the unit circle. If the angle is in the first or third quadrant, the sign will be positive. If it is in the second or fourth quadrant, the sign will be negative.

3. What is the difference between sine and cosine half-angle identities?

Sine half-angle identities involve the sine function, while cosine half-angle identities involve the cosine function. They are used to determine the sign of half the size of the original angle.

4. How can I use half-angle identities in real life?

Half-angle identities are commonly used in physics and engineering to calculate the values of angles in real-life situations, such as determining the trajectory of a projectile or the forces acting on a structure.

5. Are there any tips for remembering half-angle identities?

One helpful tip for remembering half-angle identities is to use the double-angle identities to derive the half-angle identities. Also, practicing and applying them in various problems can help with memorization.