Determine the acceleration due to gravity on this planet

In summary, the conversation discusses the launch of a projectile over level ground on an unnamed planet, with the vertical position equation given as y(t)=-6t2+48t-90. The equations used to solve for the acceleration due to gravity and the coordinates of the maximum height of the projectile are also mentioned. The conversation concludes with a discussion about finding the maximum height and time of the projectile based on the given equations.
darbeecakes

Homework Statement

A projectile is launched over level ground on an unnamed planet. The equation of the projectile's vertical position is y(t)=-6t2+48t-90.
a. Determine the acceleration due to gravity on this planet
b. Determine (ymax, tymax), the coordinates of the maximum height of the projectile in the t-y plane

Homework Equations

rf=ri+vit+1/2gt2

The Attempt at a Solution

I know ri=0 because that's the origin
Since I'm not given a time or velocity I'm stuck on how to solve for anything

Physics news on Phys.org
darbeecakes said:

Homework Statement

A projectile is launched over level ground on an unnamed planet. The equation of the projectile's vertical position is y(t)=-6t2+48t-90.

Homework Equations

rf=ri+vit+1/2gt2

The Attempt at a Solution

I know ri=0 because that's the origin
Since I'm not given a time or velocity I'm stuck on how to solve for anything
Write y and yi in your equation instead of r and ri. The equation given and your one should be equivalent, that is they have to give the same y at every time t. What does it mean for yi, vi and g?

ehild

Thank you. yi is the initial y position, vi is the initial velocity, and g is gravity due to acceleration.

darbeecakes said:
Thank you. yi is the initial y position, vi is the initial velocity, and g is gravity due to acceleration.
Compare it with the original equation
y(t)=-6t2+48t-90

What is the value of the initial position, initial velocity and acceleration?

ehild

So the initial position is -90, initial velocity is 48t and acceleration is -6t2?

t is the running time. Anything that contains t changes with time. The initial velocity is the velocity at t=0. ehild

So do I leave the acceleration value as -6t2 or do I solve it further by substituting a value for t? And how do I find the final t value?

You have the general equation for the vertical position of a projectile

y(t)=yi+vit -g/2 t^2

(assuming that the positive y-axis points upward and vi is the initial upward velocity).

On that planet, you launch a projectile upward from a valley and you get the vertical position as function of time:

y(t)=-90 +48t -6t2.

These equations should be equivalent, the positions y(t) given by both equations are the same at any time. You certainly have learned that the coefficients of two polynomials have to agree pairwise in order they are equivalent. The coefficients of t^2 in both equations have to be the same: so -g/2=-6. The coefficient of t should agree, too, so 48=vi.

ehild

How do I find the coordinates for the maximum height of the projectile?

How can you find the maximum of a function? ehild

I know the equation for the maximum height is the same as the first one i gave with ymax substituted in for rfinal and yinitial substituted in for rinitial, but I'm not sure how to find coordinate numbers when two variables are unknown.

You should calculate the maximum height and the time the projectile reaches it. If you studied calculus you know that the maximum of y is at that value of t where the derivative of y with respect to t is zero: dy/dt=0.
The other approach: you know that the vertical velocity of a projectile is v=vi-gt. You can find the rise time from the condition v=0.

ehild

I ended up getting t=4 and y=6.
I think it's correct.
Thank you for the help.

1. What is the formula for determining acceleration due to gravity?

The formula for determining acceleration due to gravity is g = F/m, where g is the acceleration due to gravity, F is the force of gravity, and m is the mass of the object.

2. How is acceleration due to gravity measured on a planet?

Acceleration due to gravity can be measured by using a device called a gravimeter, which measures the gravitational pull on an object. It can also be calculated using the formula g = 9.8 m/s² for Earth.

3. Does the acceleration due to gravity vary on different planets?

Yes, the acceleration due to gravity can vary on different planets depending on their mass and size. For example, the acceleration due to gravity on Jupiter is 24.79 m/s², while on Mars it is only 3.711 m/s².

4. What factors affect the acceleration due to gravity on a planet?

The main factor that affects the acceleration due to gravity on a planet is its mass. The larger the mass, the stronger the gravitational pull and therefore the higher the acceleration due to gravity. The distance from the planet's center and the planet's radius can also have a small effect on the acceleration due to gravity.

5. How does the acceleration due to gravity affect objects on a planet?

The acceleration due to gravity affects objects on a planet by causing them to fall towards the planet's surface. The strength of the acceleration due to gravity also determines the speed at which objects fall, with a higher acceleration resulting in a faster fall. This is why objects fall faster on Earth than on the moon, where the acceleration due to gravity is lower.