Determine the Acceleration of point A

In summary: Assuming you have your moments of inertia, solving for α and aG will give you the other two equations you need.
Northbysouth

Homework Statement

The uniform 22-kg bar is supported on the horizontal surface at A by a small roller of negligible mass. If the coefficient of kinetic friction between end B and the vertical surface is 0.19, calculate the initial acceleration of end A as the bar is released from rest in the position shown. The acceleration is positive if to the left, negative if to the right.

I have attached an image of the question

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I summed the forces in the x and y directions

ƩFx = max = -NB

ƩFy = may = NA - mg - F

F = ukN

ƩFy = may= NA - mg + ukNB

So, I have 4 unknowns: ax, NB, NA and ay

and two equations. How do I find the other two equations needed to solve this problem?

I considered taking the moment about B, but this then adds in two more unknowns: α and aG. I suspect that I may need to use relative accelerations equations, but is there another way?

Attachments

• dyn 6.097.png
    dyn 6.097.png
    17 KB · Views: 723
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Northbysouth! :smile:
Northbysouth said:
So, I have 4 unknowns: ax, NB, NA and ay

No, you have 3 independent unknowns. :wink:

(and an equation relating ax and ay)
I considered taking the moment about B, but this then adds in two more unknowns: α and aG.

No, they also depend on ax :wink:

I'm not sure I follow you when you say that I have an equation relating ax and ay. Are you talking about

a = (a2x + a2y)1/2

The questions asks me to find the acceleration of point a which I know is only in the x direction, and point B has an acceleration which only acts in the y direction.

Could you expand a little on what you said, please?

Thank you

Northbysouth said:
Are you talking about

a = (a2x + a2y)1/2

No, I'm saying a = (x2 + y2)1/2. :wink:

(and so y = √(a2 - x2))

I'm sorry but I'm still not following you. :confused:

When you use x and y, are you referring to the horizontal and vertical distances respectively?

I think tiny-tim is using x for the horizontal position of the roller, y for the vertical position of end B, and a (confusingly) for the length of the bar. The point is that the bar is of constant length, which gives you an equation relating ax to ay.
You will need to take moments too, since the moment of inertia of the bar plays a role. As with ax and ay, there is a direct relationship between these and angular acceleration.

1. What is acceleration?

Acceleration is the rate at which an object's velocity changes over time. It can be described as the change in velocity divided by the change in time.

2. How do you determine the acceleration of point A?

To determine the acceleration of point A, you would need to measure the change in velocity of point A over a specific period of time. This can be done by using a motion sensor or by calculating the difference in position over time.

3. What is the formula for calculating acceleration?

The formula for acceleration is a = (vf - vi)/t, where a is acceleration, vf is final velocity, vi is initial velocity, and t is time.

4. Can acceleration be negative?

Yes, acceleration can be negative. This means that the object is slowing down or decelerating.

5. What are some real-life examples of acceleration?

Some real-life examples of acceleration include a car speeding up or slowing down, a roller coaster going down a hill, a ball being thrown into the air, and a person jumping off a diving board.