Determine the amount of kinetic energy lost due to the collision

In summary, the student is trying to solve for the speed of the blocks after collision. They understand that KE is lost to the collision, but they are lost on how to determine how much KE is lost. They end up solving for c and getting the right answer.
ClintStibbard

Homework Statement

So I am faced with a theoretical equation which uses all variables in terms of Mass,Length,Coefficient of friction which i will just write as u, radius R and gravity g. Block A of mass M is released from rest at the top of an arc ramp which is frictionless it contacts block B of mass M at the bottom inelastically. the Two blocks move together to the sliding past a distance L along a flat track of friction u. Express answers in terms of M,L,u,R and g

a determine the speed of block A before it hits block B

b determine the speed of the combined blocks immediately after collision

c determine the amount of Kinetic energy lost due to the collision.

d the specific heat of the the blocks is c. determine the temperature rise that results from the collision in terms of c and other give quatities if no energy is transferred to the track or air.

e determine additional thermal energy that is generated as the blocks move from y to p

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

a mgh=1/2mv^2 v=(2gh)^(1/2)

b determine the speed of the combined blocks after collision. m(2gh)^(1/2)=2m(2gh)^(1/2)/2

c this is where i get lost, i understand Ke is lost to an inelastic collision, but i don't understand how to determine how much?

Physics news on Phys.org
ClintStibbard said:
a mgh=1/2mv^2 v=(2gh)^(1/2)
Seems reasonable. What's h in terms of R?

b determine the speed of the combined blocks after collision. m(2gh)^(1/2)=2m(2gh)^(1/2)/2
Not sure what you're doing here. Call the speed after the collision "V". Set up your equation and solve for V.

c this is where i get lost, i understand Ke is lost to an inelastic collision, but i don't understand how to determine how much?
What's the total KE of the blocks before the collision? After the collision? Subtract!

I realized that R could be substituted in for h, and I seem to have ended up with the right answer for c. as to part b i was conserving momentum and with twice the mass the velocity had to be halved. Thank you for your help!

1. What is kinetic energy?

Kinetic energy is the energy an object possesses due to its motion. It is defined as the work needed to accelerate an object of a given mass from rest to its current velocity.

2. How is kinetic energy lost during a collision?

Kinetic energy is lost during a collision when the moving object comes into contact with another object and transfers some of its energy to that object. This can happen through deformation, sound, heat, or other forms of energy transfer.

3. How is the amount of kinetic energy lost calculated?

The amount of kinetic energy lost can be calculated by subtracting the final kinetic energy of the system after the collision from the initial kinetic energy before the collision.

4. What factors affect the amount of kinetic energy lost during a collision?

The amount of kinetic energy lost during a collision is affected by factors such as the mass and velocity of the objects involved, the type of material they are made of, and the angle and speed at which they collide.

5. How can the amount of kinetic energy lost during a collision be minimized?

The amount of kinetic energy lost during a collision can be minimized by using materials that are designed to absorb energy, reducing the speed and mass of the objects involved, and ensuring a more direct and controlled collision.