Determine the horizontal distance that the ball traveled

  • Thread starter Thread starter Jaejoong
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Ball Horizontal
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 2K views
Jaejoong
Messages
2
Reaction score
0
New member warned about not using the homework template
My teacher never taught us any of this. She just gave us a worksheet, and told us to solve it. I need to know how to solve this for a quiz tomorrow. Problem: Matt hits a baseball with an initial speed of 125 feet per second at an angle of 40 degrees to the horizontal. The ball was hit at a height of 3 feet off the ground. Determine the horizontal distance that the ball traveled.

So I came up with the equations, but I don't know if they're right.
X=125cos40t
Y=-16t^2 +125sin40t+3
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Jaejoong said:
My teacher never taught us any of this. She just gave us a worksheet, and told us to solve it. I need to know how to solve this for a quiz tomorrow. Problem: Matt hits a baseball with an initial speed of 125 feet per second at an angle of 40 degrees to the horizontal. The ball was hit at a height of 3 feet off the ground. Determine the horizontal distance that the ball traveled.

So I came up with the equations, but I don't know if they're right.
X=125cos40t
Y=-16t^2 +125sin40t+3
Hello Jaejoong. Welcome to PF .

In the future please use the template that appears when you open a Thread.

Those equations should be useful in helping you solve this problem.

You can use the equation for Y to find the amount of time that the baseball is in flight.

From that, X gives the horizontal distance.

Be careful to use the correct order of operations.

Y = -16t2 +125(sin40°)t + 3

X = 125(cos40°)tIs this for an Algebra class or for a Physics class?