A Projectile Launcher (baseball hit at a 45 degree angle to the horizontal)

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
15 replies · 6K views
Veronica_Oles
Messages
141
Reaction score
3

Homework Statement


[/B]
A baseball player hits a ball 200.0m home run. The ball travels at angle of 45° with the horizontal just after being hit. Determine the initial speed. Assume the ball lands the same height it was hit.

2. Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution



I am not sure how to go about this question. I think range is 200m and I know acceleration is 9.8m/s2[down] but that's about it.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
You must be able to find some relevant equations. Check your course text and notes for equations related to projectile motion.
 
Ok, when I was initially taught this I was told to make a chart in both the x and y with what you know and do not know.
The setup would be something like this:
______ X _____ Y
a =
vi =
d =
t =
From there try to solve for maybe t using the y-variables (since you don't have that either) and then plugging in t in an equation that will give you Vix.
 
Brianna I said:
Ok, when I was initially taught this I was told to make a chart in both the x and y with what you know and do not know.
The setup would be something like this:
______ X _____ Y
a =
vi =
d =
t =
From there try to solve for maybe t using the y-variables (since you don't have that either) and then plugging in t in an equation that will give you Vix.
Yes, I did this.
 
gneill said:
You need to show what you've done before we can help.
I have not gotten any of it done because I have no idea which formula to use. All I know is that on my horizontal I have d = 200 m and a = 0. Then for my vertical I have d = 0 and a = 9.8m/s^2(down). I don't have time and all the formulas I was given deal with time which is why I am confused
 
Veronica_Oles said:
I have not gotten any of it done because I have no idea which formula to use. All I know is that on my horizontal I have d = 200 m and a = 0. Then for my vertical I have d = 0 and a = 9.8m/s^2(down). I don't have time and all the formulas I was given deal with time which is why I am confused

For motion under constant acceleration, there are five standard variables (usually known as SUVAT, s for displacement, u for initial speed, v for final speed, a for acceleration, t for time). There are correspondingly five equations. Each equation omits one of the five variables. Are you familiar with these?
 
haruspex said:
For motion under constant acceleration, there are five standard variables (usually known as SUVAT, s for displacement, u for initial speed, v for final speed, a for acceleration, t for time). There are correspondingly five equations. Each equation omits one of the five variables. Are you familiar with these?
Yes I know those.
 
Veronica_Oles said:
Yes I know those.
Since you do not care about time, pick one that does not involve time.
 
haruspex said:
Since you do not care about time, pick one that does not involve time.
haruspex said:
Since you do not care about time, pick one that does not involve time.
The only one I see that doesn't involve time is vf^2 = vi^2 + 2ad
 
Veronica_Oles said:
The only one I see that doesn't involve time is vf^2 = vi^2 + 2ad
Sorry, I wasn't thinking clearly. You do care about time, but you have to start with the horizontal direction. If it is hit with speed v, how long to reach ythat distance?
 
haruspex said:
Sorry, I wasn't thinking clearly. You do care about time, but you have to start with the horizontal direction. If it is hit with speed v, how long to reach ythat distance?
T= 200/ViCos 45 ??!
 
Veronica_Oles said:
A baseball player hits a ball 200.0m home run. The ball travels at angle of 45° with the horizontal just after being hit. Determine the initial speed. Assume the ball lands the same height it was hit.
if u is the initial velocity at an angle θ with the horizontal
horizontal distance covered in time t ucosθt=R(range)...(1)
for time t/2 , vertical motion leads to usinθ=gt/2 ,hence t becomes 2usinθ/g
Putting t in (1) leads to
u2sin2θ/g=R
from which u can be determined ,θ and R is given
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: nikilKRP