How to calculate the horizontal distance traveled by a bouncing ball?

In summary, to calculate the horizontal distance traveled by a bouncing ball, you will need the initial velocity, angle of launch, and time. The initial velocity is the speed at which the ball is launched or dropped from a certain height. To determine the angle of launch, you can use a protractor or the formula tan θ = h/d. The formula d = vt can be used for any type of bouncing ball, but the accuracy may vary. The time it takes for the ball to reach the ground can be calculated using the formula t = √(2h/g) or t = 2v sin θ / g.
Tizyo
Does anyone have a link to an explanation (or could explain themselves) on how to calculate the total HORIZONTAL distance traveled by a bouncing ball?

I have filmed and analysed (plotted the points) of a few trajectories, so I have the values, I just need to explain why i got those values and I don't know how..

Physics news on Phys.org

Related to How to calculate the horizontal distance traveled by a bouncing ball?

1. How do I calculate the horizontal distance traveled by a bouncing ball?

To calculate the horizontal distance traveled by a bouncing ball, you will need to know the initial velocity, the angle at which the ball is launched, and the time it takes for the ball to reach the ground. You can then use the formula d = vt where d is the horizontal distance, v is the initial velocity, and t is the time.

2. What is the initial velocity of a bouncing ball?

The initial velocity of a bouncing ball is the speed at which it is launched or dropped from a certain height. This can be measured in meters per second (m/s) or feet per second (ft/s).

3. How do I determine the angle at which the ball is launched?

To determine the angle at which a ball is launched, you can use a protractor to measure the angle of the surface from which the ball is being launched. Alternatively, if you know the height from which the ball is dropped and the distance it travels horizontally, you can use the formula tan θ = h/d where θ is the angle, h is the height, and d is the horizontal distance.

4. Can I use this formula for any type of bouncing ball?

Yes, the formula d = vt can be used for any type of bouncing ball as long as you have the necessary information - initial velocity, angle, and time. However, the accuracy of the result may vary depending on the properties of the ball, such as its elasticity and air resistance.

5. How do I calculate the time it takes for the ball to reach the ground?

The time it takes for a bouncing ball to reach the ground can be calculated using the formula t = √(2h/g) where h is the height from which the ball is dropped and g is the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s²). Alternatively, if you know the initial velocity and angle, you can use the formula t = 2v sin θ / g.