Determine the largest value of angle optics problem

In summary, the conversation discusses the maximum value of angle \theta for total internal reflection at the face PR of a plastic prism with an index of refraction n=1.25. It is determined that the minimum angle of incidence to side PR will equal the critical angle, and that the reflection ray does not need to be perpendicular with QR. It is suggested to consider the angle that the incident ray makes with PR to determine the relationship with \theta.
frozen7
A ray of light is normally incident on the face PQ of a plastic prism with an index of refraction n=1.25 as shown in Figure 1. Determine the largest value of angle [tex]\theta[/tex] so that the ray is totally reflected at the face PR.

I just want to know whether the sum of the incidence and reflection angle must equal to right angle or not (for this diagram), does the ray of reflection must be perpendicular with the plane QR?

If that so, the maximum angle of [tex]\theta[/tex] is equal to the critical angle,right?

Attachments

• clip_image002.gif
    clip_image002.gif
    955 bytes · Views: 565
Physics news on Phys.org
I can't view the diagram. I believe theta is the angle of incidence on side PR.

Do you know what is the condition for total internal reflection?

For smaller values of theta, the ray will pass through side PR and enter the air (say angle of refraction is [itex]\alpha[/itex]). As you increase [itex]\theta[/itex], at one point the light will be reflected back into the prism. This angle is known as critical angle. This is what you need to find.

Write Snell's law for side PR. Now use the fact that

[itex] |(sin \alpha)| \leq 1 [/itex]

which should give you the largest angle [itex]\theta[/itex]

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
Nono, theta is actually the angle of the prism

Still, since your angle of incidence on the first face (PQ) is 90 degrees, from geometry angle of incidence on the second face (PR) is [itex]\theta[/itex]. So the critical angle of incidence on face PR is same as the critical angle of the prism.

Is the sum of the incidence angle and reflection angle is always equal to 90 degrees in the prism?

I just want to know whether the sum of the incidence and reflection angle must equal to right angle or not (for this diagram), does the ray of reflection must be perpendicular with the plane QR?

This will be true for a right prism with it's sides being equal in length. (I am sure there is a name for this type of triangles). i.e. if side PQ = QR and angle [itex] \angle PQR = 90[/itex]. Draw a ray diagram on such a prism and see for your self.I was not able to see your diagram yesterday. Now I can see it and find that the
[itex] \angle QRP = \theta[/itex]. This means

if the angle of incidence on face PR = [itex] \theta_1[/itex] then,

[itex] \theta = 90 - \theta_1[/itex]I believe you can find the maximum value of [itex] \theta_1[/itex] as I described earlier. This will give you a minimum value for the prism angle [itex] \theta [/itex].

I know that your question ask for the largest value of theta. Could there be a mistake in your problem or diagram?

Last edited:
There is no problem with the question and the diagram.

frozen7 said:
No; that's only true if [tex]\theta[/tex] is 45 degrees.

If that so, the maximum angle of [tex]\theta[/tex] is equal to the critical angle,right?
No, but the minimum angle of incidence to side PR will equal the critical angle. From that you can determine the maximum [tex]\theta[/tex].

Doc Al said:
No, but the minimum angle of incidence to side PR will equal the critical angle. From that you can determine the maximum [tex]\theta[/tex].

Why is the minimum angle of incidence is equal with the maximm of theta?

If you draw the normal to side PR, you will see (with a little geometry) the simple relationship between theta and the angle of incidence.

Yes, I know incidence , reflection angle and [tex]\theta[/tex] is all the same when the reflection ray is perpendicular with QR ( sum of incidence and reflection is 90) . I am just not sure whether the reflection ray will always perpendicular with QR or not,no matter what is the value of [tex]\theta[/tex].

frozen7 said:
Yes, I know incidence , reflection angle and [tex]\theta[/tex] is all the same when the reflection ray is perpendicular with QR ( sum of incidence and reflection is 90) .
That's true, but not relevant here.
I am just not sure whether the reflection ray will always perpendicular with QR or not,no matter what is the value of [tex]\theta[/tex].
No reason why it should be.

Hint: Consider the angle that the incident ray makes with PR. How does that relate to [tex]\theta[/tex]?

1. What is the largest value of angle optics problem?

The largest value of angle optics problem refers to the maximum angle that can be achieved in a given optical system. This is often determined by the design and limitations of the system, such as the size and type of lenses used.

2. How is the largest value of angle optics problem calculated?

The largest value of angle optics problem is typically calculated using principles of optics, such as Snell's law and the properties of lenses. It can also be determined experimentally by measuring the maximum angle that can be achieved in a given system.

3. What factors affect the largest value of angle optics problem?

The largest value of angle optics problem can be affected by various factors, including the design of the optical system, the properties of the lenses used, and the medium through which light travels. Other factors that can impact this value include the angle of incidence, refractive index, and the type of light being used (e.g. visible, ultraviolet, infrared).

4. Why is it important to determine the largest value of angle optics problem?

Knowing the largest value of angle optics problem is important in designing and optimizing optical systems. It can help determine the maximum capabilities of a system and ensure that it is functioning at its highest potential. Additionally, understanding this value can aid in avoiding potential problems or limitations in the system.

5. How does the largest value of angle optics problem impact real-world applications?

The largest value of angle optics problem has a significant impact on various real-world applications, such as in the fields of photography, microscopy, and astronomy. For example, in photography, understanding this value can help determine the maximum field of view for a camera lens. In microscopy, it can affect the resolution and magnification of an image. In astronomy, it can determine the maximum angle at which light from distant objects can be captured by a telescope.