Determine the location of the center of mass of spheres

In summary, the conversation discusses determining the location of the center of mass for a system of three disks and three solid spheres, all made of the same material and with the same diameters. The center of mass for the disks is found to be 3.5m, while the center of mass for the spheres is found to be 3.8m. The calculation for the spheres is done symbolically, using the formula for center of mass and the relationship between sphere mass and radius.
emily081715

Homework Statement

All three disks are made of sheet metal of the same material, and the diameters are 1.0 m , 2.0 m , and3.0 m . Assume that the x-axis has its origin at the left-most point of the left-most object and it points to the right. Part A) Determine the location of the center of mass of the system shown
Mazur1e.ch6.p38.jpg

part B)Repeat the calculation for three solid spheres all made of the same metal and having the same diameters as in part A.

Homework Equations

m1x1+m2x2+m3x3/m1+m2+m3

The Attempt at a Solution

i have gotten the answer for the first part with some help, the answer was 3.5m. i have tried repeating the calculations i took in part A. and got 3.5m again. this is what i did;
Masses
4πr2
mass 1: 4π(0.5)2=3.14159
mass 2:4π(1)2=12.56637
mass 3: 4π(1.5)2=28.2743

center of mass of the system
3.14159(0.5)+12.56637(1)+28.2743(4.5)/3.14159+12.56637+28.2743

Physics news on Phys.org
Sphere mass goes as the volume, not the cross sectional area. How does the volume of a sphere vary with radius?

gneill said:
Sphere mass goes as the volume, not the cross sectional area. How does the volume of a sphere vary with radius?
thank you i caught my error and got the correct answer of 3.8m

emily081715 said:
thank you i caught my error and got the correct answer of 3.8m
You're welcome.

Rather than pushing around all those digits you could do it symbolically. Let the first sphere's mass be M and have radius r (where r = 1/2 meter). The the masses of the spheres would be M, 8M, 27M (going as the radius cubed). Their center of mass locations would be r, 4r, and 9r. Plugging them into the center of mass formula:

##COM = \frac{(M)(r) + (8M)(4r) + (27M)(9r)}{M + 8M + 27M}##

##~~~~~~~~~~= \frac{276(r)(M)}{36M}##

##~~~~~~~~~~= \frac{23}{3}r##

And since r is 0.5 m, the result is ##COM = \frac{23}{6}~m \approx 3.83~m##.

1. How is the center of mass of a sphere determined?

The center of mass of a sphere is determined by finding the point at which the mass of the sphere is evenly distributed in all directions. This point is also known as the centroid and is located at the geometric center of the sphere.

2. What factors affect the location of the center of mass of spheres?

The location of the center of mass of a sphere is affected by its size, shape, and density. A larger sphere will have a center of mass closer to its geometric center, while a denser sphere will have a center of mass closer to its center of mass.

3. Can the center of mass of a sphere be outside of the sphere?

No, the center of mass of a sphere will always be located within the sphere itself. This is because the center of mass is a point where the mass of the sphere is evenly distributed, and if it were outside of the sphere, the distribution of mass would not be balanced.

4. How is the center of mass of multiple spheres calculated?

To determine the center of mass of multiple spheres, the individual centers of mass are first calculated using the formula for a single sphere. Then, the overall center of mass is found by taking the weighted average of the individual centers of mass, where the weights are the masses of each sphere.

5. Why is determining the center of mass of spheres important?

Determining the center of mass of spheres is important in various fields of science, including physics, engineering, and astronomy. It helps in understanding the stability and motion of objects, as well as in designing structures and predicting the behavior of celestial bodies.