Determine the NEW force of attraction between two masses

In summary, the two masses in space have a force of gravitational attraction of 6.88 x 10^21N at a certain separation distance. If the separation distance is tripled and the mass of one object is reduced by half, the new force of attraction can be calculated by replacing the distance and mass values in the equation Fg = Gm1m2/d^2.
OverAchiever

Homework Statement

Two masses are in space. At a certain separation, the two masses have a force of gravitational attraction of 6.88 x 10 21N Determine the new force of attraction if the separation distance between the two masses is tripled, and mass of one object is reduced by half.

Homework Equations

Fg = Gm1m2/d2

The Attempt at a Solution

Fnew/Fold = Gm1m2/d2Cancel out G,m1, m2
6.88 x 1021 /Fold = 1/d2new divided by 1/d2old

This is as far as I could get and now I don't know what to do. I have some other questions that I would like to ask after I can solve this one if it is not a problem. I have been going through some tough times and missed a lot of class, so now I need to get an understanding of the new concepts I missed by solving these problems

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

Hi OverAchiever! Welcome to PF! :wink:

Why not just replace d by 3d, and m1 by m1/2, in the formula? :smile:

What is the formula for determining the force of attraction between two masses?

The formula for determining the force of attraction between two masses is given by Newton's Law of Universal Gravitation: F = G * (m1 * m2) / r^2, where F is the force of attraction, G is the gravitational constant, m1 and m2 are the masses of the two objects, and r is the distance between the two objects.

How does the distance between two masses affect the force of attraction?

The force of attraction between two masses is inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them. This means that as the distance between the two masses increases, the force of attraction decreases. Similarly, as the distance decreases, the force of attraction increases.

What is the unit of measurement for force of attraction?

The unit of measurement for force of attraction is Newtons (N). This is a derived unit in the International System of Units (SI) and is equivalent to kg*m/s^2.

How does the mass of one object affect the force of attraction?

The force of attraction between two masses is directly proportional to the product of the two masses. This means that as the mass of one object increases, the force of attraction also increases. For example, if the mass of one object doubles, the force of attraction will also double.

What is the value of the gravitational constant (G)?

The value of the gravitational constant, denoted as G, is approximately 6.67 x 10^-11 N*m^2/kg^2. This value is a fundamental constant in physics and is used in many equations involving gravitational forces.