Determine the products of all stages in the following reaction

• Thread starter MarcL
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Reaction
In summary, the conversation discusses the use of Li and CuI in a Corey-House synthesis, where the product reacts with chlorocyclopentane. The details of the reaction are not fully known, but the conversation suggests that the reaction is straightforward and involves multiple steps.
MarcL

Homework Statement

upload_2014-12-16_12-16-33.png

is treated first with Li and then with CuI.
The product reacts with chlorocyclopentane

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
I don't know where to start exactly... it doesn't seem to be anything I've learned so far (substitution, addition ,elimination).

All I can think of is a Corey-House synthesis, don't know if I'm headed in the right direction ?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
MarcL said:
Corey-House synthesis

Sounds reasonable. What do you get when you follow that route?

I react it with 2Li so I would get LiCl + LiCH2CH2CH2CH2CH2CH2 To be fair, I am sorry for the notation, I've never really been shown how to write the formula of a cyclic molecule

And then I react it with 2CuI if I remember correctly to finally react it with another alide, correct my if I am wrong.

You can mark cyclehaxane ring with some other symbol, like RCH2Li, or CycCH2Li.

You seem to be on the right track, just don't stop for confirmation after every step.

Disclaimer: I am not an organiker, so there is always a chance I am wrong. But in terms of Corey-House this problem looks rather straightforward.

MarcL said:
if I remember correctly

If you are not sure, consult your book or notes. No need to guess.

What is a reaction?

A reaction is a process in which substances called reactants interact with each other to form new substances called products.

What are the stages in a reaction?

The stages in a reaction are initiation, propagation, and termination. During initiation, the reactants are brought together and activated. During propagation, the activated reactants undergo a series of steps to form the products. During termination, the products are formed and the reaction comes to an end.

How do you determine the products of a reaction?

The products of a reaction can be determined by understanding the chemical structure of the reactants and the types of bonds they contain. By using knowledge of chemical reactions and bond breaking and forming, one can predict the products that will be formed.

What factors can affect the products of a reaction?

The products of a reaction can be affected by factors such as temperature, pressure, and the presence of catalysts. These factors can alter the rate of the reaction and the types of products that are formed.

Why is it important to determine the products of a reaction?

Determining the products of a reaction is important for understanding the chemical processes that occur in our world. It also allows for the prediction and control of chemical reactions, which is crucial in fields such as medicine, agriculture, and materials science.