1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Determine the products of all stages in the following reaction

1. Dec 16, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    upload_2014-12-16_12-16-33.png
    is treated first with Li and then with CuI.
    The product reacts with chlorocyclopentane

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I don't know where to start exactly... it doesn't seem to be anything I've learned so far (substitution, addition ,elimination).

All I can think of is a Corey-House synthesis, dunno if I'm headed in the right direction ?

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 16, 2014
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 16, 2014 #2

Borek

Staff: Mentor

Sounds reasonable. What do you get when you follow that route?

4. Dec 16, 2014 #3
    I react it with 2Li so I would get LiCl + LiCH2CH2CH2CH2CH2CH2 To be fair, I am sorry for the notation, I've never really been shown how to write the formula of a cyclic molecule

5. Dec 16, 2014 #4
    And then I react it with 2CuI if I remember correctly to finally react it with another alide, correct my if Im wrong.

6. Dec 17, 2014 #5

Borek

Staff: Mentor

You can mark cyclehaxane ring with some other symbol, like RCH2Li, or CycCH2Li.

You seem to be on the right track, just don't stop for confirmation after every step.

Disclaimer: I am not an organiker, so there is always a chance I am wrong. But in terms of Corey-House this problem looks rather straightforward.

If you are not sure, consult your book or notes. No need to guess.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted