1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Determine the rms value of the electric field of the transmitted beam

1. Dec 5, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A beam of polarized light has an average intensity of 13.2 W/m2 and is sent through a polarizer. The transmission axis makes an angle of 27.5° with respect to the direction of polarization. Determine the rms value of the electric field of the transmitted beam.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    This is what I have done to try this problem:
    I used Erms = square root of: [I(4pi * 10^-7)(3 x 10^8)]
    I used I = Iocos^2theta
    I = (13.2)(cos27.5)^2
    I = 10.3856

According to the homework program I am using, the answer I have gotten is not correct...I am not sure what I am doing wrong. Thanks in advance!

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 6, 2009 #2

Redbelly98

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I agree with your value of I=10.4 W/m^2.
    Can you post your calculation of Erms?

4. Dec 6, 2009 #3
    I have finally solved it! So my Erms equation was correct. My intensity was not...
    Turns out what I had to do was not square the cos...
    so instead of I = Iocos227.5
    the equation is:
    I = Iocos27.5 = 11.7085

Which I can then plug into the equation for Erms above

Thanks for your help!

5. Dec 6, 2009 #4

Redbelly98

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

6. Dec 6, 2009 #5
    yeah, I know...but our homework is on a computer program (CAPA), and after using 7 out of 10 tries on this problem I called a classmate and he said that he did it without the cos squared...so I tried it and it was finally marked correct!...not really sure what's going on with this problem!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook