Determine The Speed of a Charge at a given point

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 2K views
Agent 337737
Messages
5
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


Given: The electric potential function: V= 3x^2 + 2xy +(y^2)z + 20
a) A 4 coulombs, 2kg charge is released from the origin. Determine the speed of the charge at (1,1,-1)

Homework Equations


Kinetic Energy= 1/2 mv^2

The Attempt at a Solution


I tried to use the fact that the change in potential energy is equal to the negative change in kinetic energy.
I calculated the change in electric potential to be 4 V and set that equal to the negative change in kinetic energy, which would just be -1/2 mv^2
However, when I solve for the velocity, I get the square root of negative 4. Have I done something wrong or is the problem just flawed?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
I think you're right. The question is flawed. A positive charge will not go from lower to higher potential without some external force.