Determine the speed of the block at the bottom of the inclin

In summary: Express your answer in terms of g and the variables m, l, and θ.In summary, the block moves at a speed of 0.5 m/s down the slope.
emily081715

Homework Statement

You release a block from the top of a long, slippery inclined plane of length l that makes an angle θwith the horizontal. The magnitude of the block's acceleration is gsin(θ) .Use the expression you derived in the previous part to determine the speed of the block at the bottom of the incline.
Express your answer in terms of g and the variables m, l, and θ.

Homework Equations

UG=−mgsinθ(x−l)

The Attempt at a Solution

i know that the correct answer does not depend on "m" so i assumed the equation would be v=l/gsinθ. that's inccorrect and i tried reversing it too and still wrong. i know that they won't be multiplied so I'm unsure the relation

Physics news on Phys.org
What was the "expression you derived in the previous part"? Something to do with velocity, acceleration, and distance perhaps?

gneill said:
What was the "expression you derived in the previous part"? Something to do with velocity, acceleration, and distance perhaps?
this was it : UG=−mgsinθ(x−l)

Okay, well that appears to be an expression for gravitational potential energy. What are x and l in that equation?

You still need to get to velocity somehow. Have you learned about conservation of energy and how kinetic energy and potential energy are related?

gneill said:
Okay, well that appears to be an expression for gravitational potential energy. What are x and l in that equation?

You still need to get to velocity somehow. Have you learned about conservation of energy and how kinetic energy and potential energy are related?
l= inclined plane lenght
x=UG(x=l)=0.
k=-U

emily081715 said:
l= inclined plane lenght
x=UG(x=l)=0.
k=-U
I have to ask, is UG something different from U, and is k meant to represent kinetic energy?

Do you know how to find the velocity if you have the kinetic energy?

On a related subject, the problem statement tells you that the magnitude of the acceleration is given by gsin(θ). Do you know a standard kinematic equation that relates acceleration, distance, and velocity?

gneill said:
I have to ask, is UG something different from U, and is k meant to represent kinetic energy?

Do you know how to find the velocity if you have the kinetic energy?

On a related subject, the problem statement tells you that the magnitude of the acceleration is given by gsin(θ). Do you know a standard kinematic equation that relates acceleration, distance, and velocity?
Ug is potential energy, k is kinetic energy

emily081715 said:
Ug is potential energy, k is kinetic energy
yes is i have kinetic energy, velcoity is the square root of k/m

but i don't have kinetic energy, i have potential

would speed be the √mgsinθ(x−l)/0.5m

emily081715 said:
yes is i have kinetic energy, velcoity is the square root of k/m
Not quite. Since ##k = \frac{1}{2} m v^2##, then solving for v gives ##v = \sqrt{\frac{2 k}{m}}##. Don't forget that "2".

emily081715 said:
but i don't have kinetic energy, i have potential
But you know how they are related. Once the block moves from the top of the ramp to the bottom, what happens to the potential energy? Where does the energy go?

emily081715 said:
would speed be the √mgsinθ(x−l)/0.5m
It's hard to tell because I can't be sure what the square root sign is meant to cover. And I'm still not sure what x is meant to be. I understand that l is the inclined plane length from post #5:
emily081715 said:
l= inclined plane lenght
x=UG(x=l)=0.
k=-U
But I'm not sure how to read your second equation. Surely you're not equating a length to a potential energy?

The square root sign is meant to cover everything

emily081715 said:
The square root sign is meant to cover everything
In that case I believe that it will yield the velocity. Note that the mass m cancels in the numerator and denominator. It would probably be more clear if you were to replace (x - l) with a single variable like "d" for the distance traveled along the slope.

Note that there's also a kinematic equation that you should be familiar with that would get you to the result quickly if you know the acceleration and distance (which you do in this case).

1. What is the formula for calculating the speed of the block at the bottom of the incline?

The formula for calculating the speed of the block at the bottom of the incline is v = √(2gh), where v is the speed, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and h is the height of the incline.

2. How does the angle of the incline affect the speed of the block at the bottom?

The steeper the incline, the faster the block will be moving at the bottom. This is because the higher the incline, the greater the component of gravity pulling the block down the incline, thus increasing its speed.

3. Can the speed of the block at the bottom of the incline be greater than the speed at which it was released?

No, the speed of the block at the bottom of the incline cannot be greater than the initial speed at which it was released. This is due to the conservation of energy principle, which states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, only transferred.

4. What factors can affect the accuracy of the calculated speed of the block at the bottom of the incline?

The accuracy of the calculated speed can be affected by factors such as air resistance, friction on the incline, and the precision of the measurements taken. Other external factors, such as uneven surfaces or human error, can also contribute to inaccuracies.

5. Is there a difference in the speed of the block at the bottom of the incline if it is released from rest or if it is pushed?

Yes, there will be a difference in the speed of the block at the bottom of the incline depending on whether it is released from rest or pushed. When pushed, the block will have an initial speed, whereas when released from rest, it will have an initial speed of 0. This difference in initial speed will affect the final speed of the block at the bottom of the incline.