Block attached to a cord on an inclined plane

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 2K views
Cocoleia
Messages
293
Reaction score
4

Homework Statement


I have a block of mass M attached to a cord of mass m on an inclined plane of angle θ . A force F is pulling the cord & block up the plane. I have to find the force exerted on the block by the cord. The surface is frictionless

Homework Equations


F = ma

The Attempt at a Solution


So far I have tried to figure all of the forces that are acting on the system and place them in the F=ma equation. This is what I have come up with:
(M+m)gsinθ-F+Fc=(M+m)a
where Fc is the force exerted by the cord.
Otherwise, I am unsure of how to proceed.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Cocoleia said:
This is what I have come up with:
(M+m)gsinθ-F+Fc=(M+m)a
It's not clear what system you are analyzing with this equation.

Do this: Analyze the 'block + rope' system; get a force equation. Then analyze the block alone to get your second equation.