1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Determine the times at which the velocity=0

1. Jan 3, 2006 #1
    the acce of a particle is a=A - 6t^2 where A is a constant. At t=0,the particle starts at x=8m with v=0. Knowing that at t=1s, v=30m/s.
    Determine the times at which the velocity=0

pls help...
    the answer is 0 and 4s
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 3, 2006 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Now that you are given the acceleration of the particle, do you know how to find the velocity from the initial condition? (Remember: acceleration is the time derivative of the velocity).
  4. Jan 4, 2006 #3
    ya,i tried to get dv/dt=A-6t^2 to v-v(initial)=(At-2t^3) - (At[initial] - 2t^3[initial]).but i think it is wrong....
    what eqn do u get to form??
  5. Jan 4, 2006 #4
    [tex]v = At - 2t^{3} + C[/tex]

You know v(0)=0 and v(1) = 30, so you can work out A and C. Once you have that, solve v = 0.
  6. Jan 4, 2006 #5
    for part b) what is the total distance travelled by the particle when t=5s??

i try to integrate and get x=16t^2 - 1/2t^4 + 8 but when i try to do,the answer is wrong.

the answer is 168.5...pls help
  7. Jan 4, 2006 #6

Homework Helper

The particle first moves away from the origin until v = 0.
    How far has it travelled ? How long did it take ?

How much further does it travel, on the way back, until t = 5 sec ?
  8. Jan 4, 2006 #7
    firstly is my eqn correct above??
    i try to find all the way from t=1 to 5 and found it goes back...what should i do
  9. Jan 4, 2006 #8

Homework Helper

Yes, your eqn is correct.
    You just have two distances, the distance out and then a bit more, coming back, to find.

Think of it like a particle in shm. It starts at the origin. Moves out a distance and then moves back towards the origin again.
    That is what this particle is doing, although the movement is certainly not shm.

Find out when the velocity = 0. That is when the particle is at its max. distance from the origin. What is the value of t ?
    Use your eqn to find out the distance, x, from the origin. That is how far it has travelled so far.
    Now find its distance from the origin at t = 5. What distance has the particle moved back by ?
    Now what is the total distance moved ?
  10. Jan 4, 2006 #9
    i thought the problem stated that at t=0,x=8 and v=0 also.so it started at 8 for t=0.
    then at t=5s, i got 95.5

is it correct??
  11. Jan 4, 2006 #10

Homework Helper

x in the equation is displacement, not the distance travelled. If you move 100 m and come back adistance 20 m, the total distance travelled is 120 m but the displacement is only 80 m. In the same way the particle is moving forward till v=0 and then comes back, you have to find distance travelled
  12. Jan 4, 2006 #11

Homework Helper

Everything in your last post is correct, but ...

The particle starts from the origin, moves out by about 130 odd metres, stops momentarily (v=0, t < 5) then moves back again towards the origin such that at t = 5, its distance from the origin is then 95.5 m
    You have to (first of all) find out its distance from the origin, when v=0.

What's the eqn for velocity ?
  13. Jan 6, 2006 #12
    now when v=0,t=- or + 4s.so i substituted into the eqn x=16t^2 - 1/2t^4 + 8 , i got 120.
    then i try to take 120-95.5=24.5 and then plus 120 =144.5.However,the answer is incorrect.Where did i go wrong??
  14. Jan 6, 2006 #13

Homework Helper

You got 120 by subtracting 8 instead of adding it!
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?