1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Determine the value of expression (Calc-II)

1. May 19, 2014 #1
    Please look picture.
    I represented the expression with this integral :

integral of (1-x)^3 from 0 to 1.

I got 0, which makes no sense...

How should I proceed?

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. May 19, 2014 #2
    Correction:

I represented this using:

sum of (1-i/n)^3(1/n), i=1..infinity.

I expand it, and apply summation rules.

Problem solved?

4. May 19, 2014 #3

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

It took me a moment to understand what you were doing! The problem you gave "Find the integral of (1- x)^3, from 0 to 1" can be done with a simple integration. But what you are doing is using the basic "Riemann sums" definition. Yes, if you divide the interval from 0 to 1 into n parts each part has length 1/n. And, at the right endpoint of the ith interval the function value is (1- i/n)^3 so the "area" of the thin rectangle there is (1- i/n)^3(1/n) and the entire area, and so the integral, is approximated by the sum.

No, i does not go from 1 to infinity- it goes from 1 to n and then, to get the actual integral, you take the limit as n goes to infinity.
    You should have
    [tex]\frac{1}{n}\sum_{i=1}^n \left( 1- 3\frac{i}{n}+ 3\frac{i^2}{n^2}- \frac{i^3}{n^3}\right)[/tex]
    [tex]\frac{1}{n}\sum_{i= 1}^n 1- \frac{3}{n^2}\sum_{i= 1}^n i+ \frac{3}{n^3}\sum_{i= 1}^n i^2-\frac{1}{n^4}\sum_{i= 1}^n i^3[/tex]

5. May 19, 2014 #4
    I don't see how you get that. Do you see that it should be:
    $$\lim_{n\rightarrow \infty} \frac{1}{n}\sum_{i=1}^{n-1} \left(\frac{i}{n}\right)^3$$

EDIT: Ok, your form is correct too. Now just convert it to a definite integral which is:
    $$\int_0^1 (1-x)^3\,dx$$
    There is no need to expand it.

Last edited: May 19, 2014
  6. May 19, 2014 #5
    Hmm... If I evaluate the integral, I get 1/4. But that answer is just right if I assume n goes to infinity. If am asked to determine the value of this expression, should I not use hallsofivy's last expression and the summation formulas to expand the i's into n?

I think my final answer should contain n's.

Ultimately, the integral is irrelevant in this problem?

7. May 19, 2014 #6

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Yes, use Halls's last expression.

Then use the summation formulas, the results of which will contain n, but not i .

8. May 19, 2014 #7
    What about the integral? Is it "useless" in this specific problem?

9. May 19, 2014 #8

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I think Halls has the correct interpretation of what's expected. Use the basic "Riemann sums" definition of the integral - taking the limit as n → ∞ .

To check your answer, find the value of the following integral in the usual way, by finding the anti-derivative of the integrand, etc.
    ##\displaystyle \int_0^1 (1-x)^3\,dx##​

10. May 20, 2014 #9
    Why would it be take the infinite sum? The question is determine the value of this expression without saying as n goes to infinity.

11. May 20, 2014 #10
    We can do that too but this is easily done using definite integrals. If you insist, here's how. I will be using the form I shown before because that doesn't requires expanding the terms as HallsOfIvy has done.

The sum under consideration is:
    $$\frac{1}{n}\sum_{i=1}^{n-1} \left(\frac{i}{n}\right)^3=\frac{1}{n^4}\sum_{i=1}^{n-1}i^3$$
    Since ##\displaystyle \sum_{i=1}^{n-1}i^3=\left(\frac{(n-1)n}{2}\right)^2##, we have the following limit:
    $$\begin{aligned}
    \lim_{n\rightarrow \infty} \frac{1}{n^4}\left(\frac{(n-1)n}{2}\right)^2 &= \lim_{n\rightarrow \infty} \frac{(n-1)^2}{4n^2}\\
    &= \lim_{n\rightarrow \infty} \frac{1}{4}\left(1-\frac{1}{n}\right)^2 \\
    &= \boxed{\dfrac{1}{4}}\\
    \end{aligned}$$

12. May 20, 2014 #11
    I'm sorry. Perhaps I was not clear. My question is: the way you just did it supposes that n->infinity. But the original question is : determine the value of this expression in the picture. And in the picture, there is NO indication that n->infinity.
    Do you understand what I'm trying to convey?

13. May 20, 2014 #12
    Ah ok, I thought this was another question related to Riemann sums. In that case, you leave it till the following step:
    $$\frac{1}{4}\left(1-\frac{1}{n}\right)^2$$
    I hope your issue is addressed now. :)

14. May 20, 2014 #13
    Excellent! This forum is filled of hardworking people!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted