1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Determine the work done by the applied force

1. Oct 14, 2006 #1
    Okay I am confuse on how i came to this conclusion and how i came to that answer.

A block of mass 2.50 kg is pushed 2.80 m along a frictionless horizontal table by a constant 12.0 N force directed 25.0° below the horizontal.

(a) Determine the work done by the applied force.
    (b) Determine the work done by the normal force exerted by the table.
    0 J
    (c) Determine the work done by the force of gravity.
    (d) Determine the work done by the net force on the block.

I am confuse on b, c, d. I know that to determine the applied force i would use W = (Fcostheta)(deltaX).

For b i would use W = (mgcos90)deltaX is that correct? because since the block is on a table which is flat and normal force is pointing up so from table to normal force it makes a 90 degree angle.

For c I did a guess since I was not sure but i thought that it would be zero since there is no incline and gravity is not acting on this block because its not falling.

D i came up with Wnet = W_F + W_f + W_N + W_mg
    W_F = 30.45
    W_f = 0 (no friction so it is zero)
    W_N = 0 (not sure why)
    W_mg = 0 (not sure why)

sorry its a bit long but can anyone explain this to me.
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 14, 2006 #2
    can u clarify the direction of the force on the object? what u mean by a constant force of 12 N directed below the horizontal? So the force is acting 25 degrees upwards on the block or downwards?
  4. Oct 15, 2006 #3
    that is all the info was given and thats the exact question given.

I think the force is acting 25 degrees downwards from the block.
  5. Oct 15, 2006 #4
    For a, b and c, the answers u provided are right.. if the force on the block is really acting downwards from the block. for a) All u have to do is to take the horizontal component of the force on the block and multiply it by the distance travelled which i think u got it. For both b and c, the WD equals zero because there is no distance travelled in the direction of the force. for d, all u got to do is to sum up the WD on the block since they are scalars which will actually give u the wd done by moving the block, 30.45.
  6. Oct 15, 2006 #5
    Thanks, that make much more sense now.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?