Determine the work done by the gas

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
7 replies · 3K views
yossup
Messages
28
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



A 1.10 mol sample of an ideal diatomic gas at a pressure of 1.20 atm and temperature of 420K undergoes a process in which its pressure increases linearly with temperature. The final temperature and pressure are 720K and 1.83atm.

Determine the work done by the gas.

Determine the heat added to the gas.

Homework Equations



E= 5/2 nRT

The Attempt at a Solution



So the change in internal energy I calculated to be 6860J.

So W + Q = 6860.

I can't figure out how to calculate W or Q because I don't know what kind of process this is (adiabatic, isobaric, isochoric, etc.) It just says pressure increases linearly with temperature. :(
 
Physics news on Phys.org


if it's isochoric, the work done by the gas should be zero but it says I'm wrong so it isn't isochoric?
 


isn't that because it's not at constant volume?

P1/T1 = P2/T2 only at constant volume... :(