Determine Unknown Elements and Node Voltages (ECE 210)

• Thread starter Marcin H
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Elements
In summary, the student attempted to solve a homework equation but was confused about some of the nodes and why we even needed to find voltages at those points. The student found the potential drop across a component connected to a node if that component has one "leg" connected to the reference node and the current is flowing in the same direction as the potential drop.
Marcin H

Homework Statement

Screen Shot 2016-08-28 at 12.51.14 PM.png

Homework Equations

V=IR

The Attempt at a Solution

Hello. I am working on this problem and I just wanted someone to check it out if I did it correctly. I was kinda confused about some of the nodes and why we even needed to find voltages at those points because in a lot of cases those nodes seemed to be equal to Va, Vb, Vc, etc... Like node 1 (V1) looks like it's just equal to Va. Same with Vb = V2 and Vc = V3. Is that correct? Also, does the rest of this seem correct?

New Doc 15.jpg

New Doc 15_2.jpg

Physics news on Phys.org
Take a close look at ##v_c## and how it's defined on the circuit diagram. Which way is the current flowing through the 4 Ω resistor?

gneill said:
Take a close look at ##v_c## and how it's defined on the circuit diagram. Which way is the current flowing through the 4 Ω resistor?
The current is flowing to the left. I forgot to mention that there was a typo made by the professor in that diagram. The signs should be flipped for Vc. The diagram in the picture of the solution should be correct.

Marcin H said:
The current is flowing to the left. I forgot to mention that there was a typo made by the professor in that diagram. The signs should be flipped for Vc. The diagram in the picture of the solution should be correct.
Okay, that makes a difference.

Your work looks okay except for 2(C). They're asking for the voltage rise from node 2 to node 3, and since that direction is against the flow of the current, will the potential increase or decrease?

Marcin H said:
I was kinda confused about some of the nodes and why we even needed to find voltages at those points because in a lot of cases those nodes seemed to be equal to Va, Vb, Vc, etc... Like node 1 (V1) looks like it's just equal to Va. Same with Vb = V2 and Vc = V3. Is that correct?

I think they're just checking your understanding of potential in a circuit with respect to a reference node. The potential at a node may be the same as the potential drop across a component connected to that node if that component has one "leg" connected to the reference node. If there's no such connection then the potential across the component does not define the potential at the node.

Likes Marcin H
gneill said:
They're asking for the voltage rise from node 2 to node 3, and since that direction is against the flow of the current, will the potential increase or decrease?
Decrease right? It should be negative. I think a voltage drop (+ to -) is positive, while a voltage rise (- to +) is negative. So that should be -12V for Vc (or node 2 to node 3) right? Then the sum of the voltages should be 0.

gneill said:
The potential at a node may be the same as the potential drop across a component connected to that node if that component has one "leg" connected to the reference node. If there's no such connection then the potential across the component does not define the potential at the node.

Ok that makes more sense now.

Marcin H said:
Decrease right? It should be negative. I think a voltage drop (+ to -) is positive, while a voltage rise (- to +) is negative. So that should be -12V for Vc (or node 2 to node 3) right? Then the sum of the voltages should be 0.

Ah. Don't confuse the common practice of summing potential drops as positive values while writing KVL loop equations with what's actually taking place; That practice is a matter of convenience.

When you traverse a resistor in the same direction as the current there is a potential drop (a negative change in potential). Likewise, if you traverse a resistor against the flow of current there is a potential rise (potential increase). We tend to sum potential drops as positive values because we typically write loop equations by following around the loop in the same direction as the assumed loop current, and it is inconvenient to write +(-x) for every term that's a potential drop. Instead we sum the drops as positive values and place the sum of the changes due to voltage source rises on the other side of the equals sign, thus enforcing a change of sign that keeps things consistent mathematically.

Likes Marcin H

1. What is the purpose of determining unknown elements and node voltages in ECE 210?

Determining unknown elements and node voltages is essential in understanding and analyzing electrical circuits in ECE 210. It allows us to calculate the flow of current and voltage in the circuit, which is crucial in designing and troubleshooting electronic systems.

2. How do you determine unknown elements in a circuit?

To determine unknown elements in a circuit, we use a combination of circuit analysis techniques such as Kirchhoff's laws, Ohm's law, and nodal analysis. These methods involve creating equations and solving for the unknown variables using algebraic and mathematical techniques.

3. What is nodal analysis and how is it used in determining node voltages?

Nodal analysis is a method used in circuit analysis to determine the voltage at each node in a circuit. It involves writing equations based on Kirchhoff's current law for each node and solving for the unknown node voltages. This technique is useful in complex circuits with multiple elements and nodes.

4. What are some common challenges in determining unknown elements and node voltages?

One of the challenges in determining unknown elements and node voltages is dealing with non-linear elements, such as diodes and transistors, which require more complex equations and techniques. Another challenge is ensuring the accuracy of measurements and accounting for errors in the calculations.

5. How is the knowledge of determining unknown elements and node voltages applied in real-world applications?

The knowledge of determining unknown elements and node voltages is essential in various fields such as telecommunications, power systems, and electronic design. It is used in designing and analyzing circuits for various devices and systems, from simple electronic devices to complex industrial equipment.