1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Determine whether the series is convergent or divergent

1. Feb 2, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I have to find whether the following is Convergent or Divergent

∑ from n = 1 to infinity
    2 / n(2n + 2)^(1/4)

Actually it's the fourth root, this is just easier to write.

2. Relevant equations

According to the front of the sheet it's a quiz on P-Series and Integral Test
    I'm leaning more towards Integral Test.

3. The attempt at a solution

Not sure how to go about it, i think i've been looking at them for too long, i can't seem to remember how to do integrals anymore

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 2, 2012 #2

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

I wouldn't use the integral test.

4. Feb 2, 2012 #3

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Either one will work. The "P-series" test says that a series of the form [itex]\sum n^p[/itex] will converge if p< 1, diverge if [itex]p\ge 1[/itex]. This is not exactly of that form, but you can use the comparison test also. Can you find a p so that [itex]1/(n(2n+2)^{1/4}< n^p[/itex]? The integral test says that a series [itex]\sum a_n[/itex] converges if the integral [itex]\int_1^\infty a(x)dx[/itex] converges where "a(x)" is just [itex]a_n[/itex] with "n" replaced by "x". Can you integrate
    [tex]\int_1^\infty \frac{1}{x(x+1)}dx[/tex]?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook