1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Determine whether the series is convergent

1. Oct 26, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Determine whether the series [tex]\sum_{n=2}^{\infty}a_n[/tex] is absolutely,conditionally convergent or divergent

3. The attempt at a solution
    from Abel's test.[tex]c_n=\frac{(-1)^n}{\sqrt{n}}[/tex]is convergent.and

[tex]b_n=(\frac{2n}{n+1})^\pi}=\frac{2^{\pi}}{(1+\frac{1}{n})^{\pi}}=\frac{2^{\pi}}{1+\frac{\pi}{n}+o(\frac{1}{n^2})}[/tex].Which has limit [tex]2^{\pi}[/tex].So a_n is convergent.

I don't know exactly but it seems to me that the last equation is divergent.So a_n is conditionally convergent.
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 26, 2007 #2
    Sorry,I wrongly had typed the series .
  4. Oct 26, 2007 #3

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I don't think you can apply Abel's test here, since the basic series you are dealing with, 1/sqrt(n) is of the form 1/n^p and doesn't converge by an integral test. I would look for a proof using the alternating series test.
  5. Oct 27, 2007 #4
    The reason why I used Abel's Test is:

Abel's Test

Given two sequences {[tex]a_n[/tex]} and{[tex]b_n[/tex]},suppose that
    1.The series
    [tex]\sum_{n=1}^{\infty}a_n[/tex] is convergent.
    2.The sequence [tex]b_n[/tex] monotonically converges to some number L
    Then the series
    [tex]\sum_{n=1}^{\infty}a_nb_n[/tex] is convergent.

So I choosed first series [tex]c_n=\frac{(-1)^n}{\sqrt{n}}[/tex] as convergent.And [tex]b_n[/tex] with limit [tex]2^{\pi}[/tex].
  6. Oct 27, 2007 #5
    Let [tex]a_n = \frac{(-1)^n}{\sqrt{n}}[/tex] then [tex]\sum_{n=1}^{\infty} a_n [/tex] converges. Let [tex]b_n = \left( \frac{2n}{n+1} \right)^n[/tex] then [tex]b_n \leq b_{n+1}[/tex] and [tex]\lim b_n \not = \infty[/tex]. This means [tex] \sum_{n=1}^{\infty} a_nb_n[/tex] converges.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?