Determine whether the series is convergent

In summary, the series \sum_{n=2}^{\infty}a_n is conditionally convergent. Using Abel's test, it can be shown that the series \sum_{n=1}^{\infty} a_n converges. However, the series b_n = \left( \frac{2n}{n+1} \right)^n is not monotonically decreasing and does not have a limit of zero, so it cannot be used to prove absolute convergence. The series a_n = \frac{(-1)^n}{\sqrt{n}}(\frac{2n}{n+1})^\pi} cannot be proven using Abel's test either, as the basic series 1/s
azatkgz

Homework Statement

Determine whether the series [tex]\sum_{n=2}^{\infty}a_n[/tex] is absolutely,conditionally convergent or divergent
[tex]a_n=\frac{(-1)^n}{\sqrt{n}(\frac{2n}{n+1})^\pi}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

from Abel's test.[tex]c_n=\frac{(-1)^n}{\sqrt{n}}[/tex]is convergent.and

[tex]b_n=(\frac{2n}{n+1})^\pi}=\frac{2^{\pi}}{(1+\frac{1}{n})^{\pi}}=\frac{2^{\pi}}{1+\frac{\pi}{n}+o(\frac{1}{n^2})}[/tex].Which has limit [tex]2^{\pi}[/tex].So a_n is convergent.

[tex]|a_n|=\frac{2^{\pi}}{\sqrt{n}(1+\frac{1}{n})^{\pi}}=\frac{2^{\pi}}{\sqrt{n}+\frac{\pi}{\sqrt{n}}+O(\frac{1}{\sqrt{n}n})}[/tex]

I don't know exactly but it seems to me that the last equation is divergent.So a_n is conditionally convergent.

Physics news on Phys.org
Sorry,I wrongly had typed the series .
[tex]a_n=\frac{(-1)^n}{\sqrt{n}}(\frac{2n}{n+1})^\pi}[/tex]

I don't think you can apply Abel's test here, since the basic series you are dealing with, 1/sqrt(n) is of the form 1/n^p and doesn't converge by an integral test. I would look for a proof using the alternating series test.

The reason why I used Abel's Test is:

Abel's Test

Given two sequences {[tex]a_n[/tex]} and{[tex]b_n[/tex]},suppose that
1.The series
[tex]\sum_{n=1}^{\infty}a_n[/tex] is convergent.
2.The sequence [tex]b_n[/tex] monotonically converges to some number L
Then the series
[tex]\sum_{n=1}^{\infty}a_nb_n[/tex] is convergent.

So I choosed first series [tex]c_n=\frac{(-1)^n}{\sqrt{n}}[/tex] as convergent.And [tex]b_n[/tex] with limit [tex]2^{\pi}[/tex].

Let [tex]a_n = \frac{(-1)^n}{\sqrt{n}}[/tex] then [tex]\sum_{n=1}^{\infty} a_n [/tex] converges. Let [tex]b_n = \left( \frac{2n}{n+1} \right)^n[/tex] then [tex]b_n \leq b_{n+1}[/tex] and [tex]\lim b_n \not = \infty[/tex]. This means [tex] \sum_{n=1}^{\infty} a_nb_n[/tex] converges.

1. What does it mean for a series to be convergent?

A convergent series is one in which the sum of all its terms approaches a finite value as the number of terms approaches infinity. In other words, the series has a definite and finite limit.

2. How can you determine if a series is convergent or divergent?

There are several methods for determining the convergence or divergence of a series, including the ratio test, the root test, and the comparison test. These methods involve evaluating the behavior of the series as the number of terms increases and comparing it to known convergent or divergent series.

3. What is the significance of a convergent series in mathematics?

Convergent series are important in mathematics because they allow us to calculate exact values for infinite sums, which can have many real-world applications. They are also essential in the development of calculus and the study of infinite series and sequences.

4. Is there a way to determine the convergence of a series without using a specific test?

In some cases, it may be possible to determine the convergence of a series by looking at the behavior of its terms. For example, if the terms of the series approach zero as the number of terms increases, then the series is likely to be convergent. However, this method is not always reliable and should be used with caution.

5. Can a series be both convergent and divergent?

No, a series cannot be both convergent and divergent. A series is either one or the other, depending on whether its terms approach a finite value or not. However, it is possible for a series to be neither convergent nor divergent, in which case it is said to be oscillating.