Determine whethere the following series is convergent or divergent

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
8 replies · 4K views
Ratio Test =)
Messages
19
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


Determine whether the following series is convergent or divergent:
[tex] \frac{1}{2^2}+\frac{2^2}{3^3}+\frac{3^3}{4^4}+...[/tex]
I rewrite it as:
[tex] \sum_{n=1}^{\infty} \frac{n^n}{(n+1)^{n+1}}[/tex]

Homework Equations





The Attempt at a Solution


I stopped.
I can not do anything.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
You do need to show us your attempt at the solution before we can help, so which convergence tests have you tried?
 
jgens said:
You do need to show us your attempt at the solution before we can help, so which convergence tests have you tried?

Its not geometric
not telescoping
nth term test failed
can not use integral test
Ratio & Root failed because its algebric function

There is only the comparison tests
I tried them a lot
but every time i failed :/
 
Write it as (n^n/(n+1)^n)*(1/(n+1)). The first factor approaches a finite limit. What is it?
 
Dick said:
Write it as (n^n/(n+1)^n)*(1/(n+1)). The first factor approaches a finite limit. What is it?

The first one goes to 1/e
the second goes to 0
1/e times 0 = 0


nth term test failed.
 
Alright, I would suggest using the comparison test for this particular series (although I'm sure that there's probably a simpler way to do it). If [itex]n \geq 1[/itex] can you find an upper bound for the following:

[tex]\frac{(n + 1)^{n+1}}{n^{n+1}}[/tex]

Edit: Fixed typo

Edit 2: Fixed another typo. Sorry, I just seem to be mistake prone today.
 
Last edited:
Ratio Test =) said:
The first one goes to 1/e
the second goes to 0
1/e times 0 = 0nth term test failed.

What 'nth term test' are you talking about? You are right the first factor approaches 1/e. So for large values of n a term in the series is approximately 1/(e*(n+1)). What kind of test does that suggest?
 
Dick said:
What 'nth term test' are you talking about? You are right the first factor approaches 1/e. So for large values of n a term in the series is approximately 1/(e*(n+1)). What kind of test does that suggest?

nth terms test = Test for divergence.

hmmm .. I got it .. Limit comparison test with the divergent series [tex]\sum_{n=1}^{\infty} \frac{1}{n+1}[/tex]
The limit of the limit comparison test will give 1/e which is positive and finite number
hence, our series diverges.

Right?
 
Last edited:
Ratio Test =) said:
nth terms test = Test for divergence.

hmmm .. I got it .. Limit comparison test with the divergent series [tex]\frac{1}{n+1}[\tex]<br /> The limit of the limit comparison test will give 1/e which is positive and finite number<br /> hence, our series diverges.<br /> <br /> Right?[/tex]
[tex] <br /> Right.[/tex]