1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Determing where function is differentiable (Complex Analysis)

1. Oct 4, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Determine where the function f has a derivative, as a function of a complex variable:

f(x +iy) = 1/(x+i3y)

3. The attempt at a solution

I know the cauchy-riemann is not satisfied, so does that simply mean the function is not differentiable anywhere?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 4, 2007 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

No. Where Cauchy-Riemann is satisfied, the function is differentiable. There could be some places. Are there?

4. Oct 4, 2007 #3
    Hmm I was thinking, maybe I could take the partials of U and V (Cauchy-Riemann) equate them, and find out what x,y have to be in order for the equations to be satisfied. Am I on the right track?

5. Oct 4, 2007 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Yes, if CR is satisfied at a point, then the function is differentiable at that point. That's where CR comes from.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2007
  6. Oct 4, 2007 #5
    Alright, so doing the partials and equating I get

x = 3y and
    xy = 3xy

But, Im a little confused on what to do from here.

Thanks for the help

7. Oct 4, 2007 #6
    Thinking about it a little more, would this mean when x = 3y, the function is differentiable and when either x=0, y=0, the function is differentiable? Or is my thinking wrong?

8. Oct 4, 2007 #7

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

IF that's right then putting the first equation into the second gives 3y^2=9y^2, so y=0. If y=0 then x=0. So differentiable only at 0+0i.

9. Oct 4, 2007 #8
    Thanks for the help Dick!

Just to clarify one more thing. Presuming that I did calculate the paritals right and that leads to 0 + i0, wouldnt that lead to the original function being undefined? As a result, wouldnt the function be differentiable no where?

10. Oct 4, 2007 #9

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Very astute, scothoward. I was on my way to missing that.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?