Determining a smooth motion when given a function

In summary, the function x(t) given by the equation 1.1 is not smooth at t = 1 and t = 2 as the derivatives at these points do not exist. The definition of a smooth motion is that all derivatives must exist, but in this case, that is not true. The question asking to show the motion as smooth seems to be incorrect.
vande060
Show from Eq. 1.1 that the below function is smooth at t = 1 and at t = 2. Is it smooth at any 1 < t < 2?

x(t) =

1.0 + 2.0 t 0 ≤ t ≤ 1
3 + 4(t − 1) 1 ≤ t ≤ 2
7 + 3(t − 2) 2 ≤ t

for equation 1.1 my book gives me:

lim
dt→0 [x(t + dt) − x(t) ]/dt= 0

This problem asks me to show that the motion is smooth, but to me it seems that it would not be smooth at points 1 and 2. the way i understand it, for a motion to be smooth all of the derivatives of x(t) must exist, but if i take the derivatives:

2 0 ≤ t ≤ 1
4 1 ≤ t ≤ 2
3 2 ≤ t

the derivatives at points 1 and 2 conflict, so i don't understand how this meets the requirements of a smooth function. i must be missing something obvious.

Also i was confused by the formula 1.1 in the book, it tell me to use this formula to show the motion is smooth, but then next to the formula in the book it states the formula as being one used to show a function is continuous.

Thank you in advance to anyone who responds.

Physics news on Phys.org
Curious question; probably should be over on one of the math forums.
What exactly is the definition of smooth? I graphed the function from 0 to 3 and it is continuous, but the first derivative does not exist at 1 and at 2 because the value of eqn 1.1 is different when you approach from the left or the right. We say the whole limit does not exist if the left limit is not equal to the right limit.

Delphi51 said:
Curious question; probably should be over on one of the math forums.
What exactly is the definition of smooth? I graphed the function from 0 to 3 and it is continuous, but the first derivative does not exist at 1 and at 2 because the value of eqn 1.1 is different when you approach from the left or the right. We say the whole limit does not exist if the left limit is not equal to the right limit.

thanks for the reply, the definition of a smooth motion, as given in my book, is : for a motion to be smooth all of the derivatives of x(t) must exist, but if i take the derivatives.

my intuition was that this function is not smooth, because points one and two have trouble with derivatives, any ideas? Again, my book asks me to show the motion as smooth, but i don't understand how it could be by the definition.

Definitely not smooth at 1 and 2. You can see that on the graph - the slope changes suddenly at those points, so no value can be assigned to the slope or first derivative at t = 1 or t = 2. Looks like the question got mixed up.

As a scientist, my understanding of smooth motion is that it refers to a motion that is continuous and has no sudden changes or discontinuities. In this case, the function x(t) is defined in three different parts for different intervals of t, but it is still continuous at t = 1 and t = 2 because the values of x(t) from both sides of these points match. This means that the function is continuous at these points and therefore, it can be considered smooth at t = 1 and t = 2.

However, for any 1 < t < 2, the function is not smooth because the values of the function from the two different intervals (t = 0 to t = 1 and t = 1 to t = 2) do not match at this point. This leads to a sudden change or discontinuity in the function and therefore, it is not considered smooth at any point between t = 1 and t = 2.

In terms of the formula 1.1, it is used to show the continuity of a function, but in this case, it can also be used to show the smoothness of the function. This is because for a function to be smooth, it needs to be continuous and have all its derivatives exist. The formula 1.1 essentially shows that the function is continuous by showing that the limit of the difference between the function values at two points divided by the difference in those points approaches 0 as the difference tends to 0. This means that the function is continuous at that point and therefore, it is also smooth.

In conclusion, the function x(t) is smooth at t = 1 and t = 2, but not at any point between t = 1 and t = 2 as it has a sudden change or discontinuity at these points.

1. What is a smooth motion?

A smooth motion is a continuous and fluid movement without any sudden changes or interruptions. It is often described as a gradual and seamless transition from one position to another.

2. How is a smooth motion determined when given a function?

A smooth motion can be determined by analyzing the function's rate of change, particularly its derivatives. A function with a constant derivative indicates a constant velocity and a smooth motion, while a function with a changing derivative may result in a non-smooth motion.

3. Can a function always determine a smooth motion?

No, not all functions can determine a smooth motion. A function may have discontinuities or sharp turns, which can result in a non-smooth motion. It is important to analyze the function's derivatives and any potential points of discontinuity to determine if a smooth motion is possible.

4. What are the benefits of determining a smooth motion when given a function?

Determining a smooth motion from a function can help in understanding the overall behavior and patterns of the motion. It can also aid in predicting future positions and velocities, as well as optimizing the motion for efficiency or desired outcomes.

5. Are there any limitations to determining a smooth motion from a function?

Yes, there can be limitations to determining a smooth motion from a function. The function may not accurately represent the actual motion due to external factors such as friction or air resistance. Additionally, the function may only be an approximation of the true motion and may not account for small variations or errors.