Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Determining Acid/Base Strength and Ionization

1. Feb 16, 2009 #1
    I know how to do it one way, which is write down the chemical formula, balance it, and from the molarity of the products/reactants you calculate your H3O or OH concentrations and go on, but it seems to take forever. This is worse when I need to calculate pH for a whole list of different chemicals. Is there a quicker way?

regards,
    Fragment

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 17, 2009 #2

Borek

Staff: Mentor

Yes and no.

No - there are no other methods, you have to always start from the beginning. For more complicated cases you may check pH calculation lectures, but don't expect miracles.

Yes - there are programs like , that will speed up the process if you have many compounds to go through.

Note, that if it is a homework, you should do it the old fashioned way to gain speed and confidence. Otherwise you will always have troubles with calculations.

4. Feb 17, 2009 #3
    Well, it seems I have little choice but to go through the long process. Once again, many thanks Borek.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook