Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Determining an Analytic Function from its Real Part

1. Apr 22, 2012 #1
    I'm trying to prove that log|z| is not the real part of an analytic function defined on an annulus centered at zero. Due to the Cauchy-Riemann Equations, I've been under the impression that given a harmonic function, such as log|z|, its role as the real part of an analytic function is unique, and thus an analytic function is completely determined, up to the addition of a constant, by its real (or imaginary) part.

Thus I feel like since log(z) is an analytic function which cannot be defined on an annulus centered at zero whose real part is log|z|, then I can conclude that log|z| is not the real part of an analytic function defined on said annulus.

Can someone help clarify my understanding? Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 23, 2012 #2
    In case of an analytic function, the real part and the imaginary part are related thanks to the Kramers-Kroning relationships.
    So, if you know the real part function, you can compute the imaginary part function. Consequently, the complex function is obtained.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kramers–Kronig_relations

4. Apr 23, 2012 #3

Bacle2

Science Advisor

Poopsilon, you may want to be careful with your layout; the real part of logz is ln|z|, not

log|z|. Then you would have log|z|=ln||z||+iarg|z|=ln|z|+iarg|z|. But |z| is real-valued.

So, in a sense, ln|z| is a function of a real argument, and, unlike logz, it is radially-

constant; same for arg|z|. Have you double-checked that log|z| is actually harmonic, and

what its domain of harmonicity is? Maybe Wolfram has a way of helping you double-check.

5. Apr 23, 2012 #4

Bacle2

Science Advisor

I just realized I may have misunderstood (misunderestimated?) your OP. When you

write log|z|: is this the real log ,usually written ln|z|, or is it the complex log?

For one thing, log|z| as a real-valued function is not even defined for z=0.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook