Determining an Analytic Function from its Real Part

• Thread starter Poopsilon
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Function
In summary: Secondly, the real part (or real part function) of an analytic function is uniquely determined by its real (or imaginary) part. So, in this case, the real part of log|z| is ln|z|. Thirdly, the domain of harmonicity for log|z| is the entire plane, as the real part of log|z| is always positive.
Poopsilon
I'm trying to prove that log|z| is not the real part of an analytic function defined on an annulus centered at zero. Due to the Cauchy-Riemann Equations, I've been under the impression that given a harmonic function, such as log|z|, its role as the real part of an analytic function is unique, and thus an analytic function is completely determined, up to the addition of a constant, by its real (or imaginary) part.

Thus I feel like since log(z) is an analytic function which cannot be defined on an annulus centered at zero whose real part is log|z|, then I can conclude that log|z| is not the real part of an analytic function defined on said annulus.

Can someone help clarify my understanding? Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
In case of an analytic function, the real part and the imaginary part are related thanks to the Kramers-Kroning relationships.
So, if you know the real part function, you can compute the imaginary part function. Consequently, the complex function is obtained.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kramers–Kronig_relations

Poopsilon, you may want to be careful with your layout; the real part of logz is ln|z|, not

log|z|. Then you would have log|z|=ln||z||+iarg|z|=ln|z|+iarg|z|. But |z| is real-valued.

So, in a sense, ln|z| is a function of a real argument, and, unlike logz, it is radially-

constant; same for arg|z|. Have you double-checked that log|z| is actually harmonic, and

what its domain of harmonicity is? Maybe Wolfram has a way of helping you double-check.

I just realized I may have misunderstood (misunderestimated?) your OP. When you

write log|z|: is this the real log ,usually written ln|z|, or is it the complex log?

For one thing, log|z| as a real-valued function is not even defined for z=0.

1. How do you determine an analytic function from its real part?

To determine an analytic function from its real part, you can use the Cauchy-Riemann equations. These equations relate the partial derivatives of the real and imaginary parts of an analytic function, allowing you to solve for the imaginary part and thus determine the full function.

2. Can an analytic function be determined solely from its real part?

No, an analytic function cannot be determined solely from its real part. The real part of an analytic function is only one component, and the imaginary part must also be known in order to fully determine the function.

3. What is the significance of determining an analytic function from its real part?

Determining an analytic function from its real part allows you to understand the behavior of the function in the complex plane. It also allows you to calculate other properties of the function, such as its derivative and integral.

4. Are there any other methods for determining an analytic function from its real part?

Yes, there are other methods for determining an analytic function from its real part, such as using the Cauchy integral formula or Taylor series expansion. These methods may be more efficient in certain situations, but they ultimately rely on the Cauchy-Riemann equations.

5. Can the process of determining an analytic function from its real part be automated?

Yes, the process of determining an analytic function from its real part can be automated using computer software or algorithms. This can save time and reduce the likelihood of human error in the calculation process.