Determining binding energy from latent heat of vaporization

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 9K views
dav2008
Gold Member
Messages
589
Reaction score
1
The measured value of the latent heat of vaporization of argon (at 1 atm) is
6.43 kJ/mol. Use this to estimate the binding energy.

(Given answer: 0.059 eV)

[Boiling point @ 1atm: 87.3K]

My initial approach was that since 6,430 joules worth of bonds had to be broken for a mole of Argon to vaporize, then to obtain the binding energy I could just divide the latent heat by the number of molecules in a mole. This gave me an incorrect answer of .067 eV and is clearly an oversimplified approach.Any thoughts?

Edit: Never mind I got it.

I forgot to subtract the work that goes into the expansion of the gas, and that it's the change in internal energy that's at question.
 
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
After factoring in the work done in expansion, I get 0.059 eV as the binding energy.