Determining binding energy from latent heat of vaporization

In summary, the latent heat of vaporization of argon at 1 atm is 6.43 kJ/mol, and using this value, the estimated binding energy is 0.059 eV. This calculation involves factoring in the work done in expansion and the change in internal energy.
dav2008
Gold Member
The measured value of the latent heat of vaporization of argon (at 1 atm) is
6.43 kJ/mol. Use this to estimate the binding energy.

(Given answer: 0.059 eV)

[Boiling point @ 1atm: 87.3K]

My initial approach was that since 6,430 joules worth of bonds had to be broken for a mole of Argon to vaporize, then to obtain the binding energy I could just divide the latent heat by the number of molecules in a mole. This gave me an incorrect answer of .067 eV and is clearly an oversimplified approach.Any thoughts?

Edit: Never mind I got it.

I forgot to subtract the work that goes into the expansion of the gas, and that it's the change in internal energy that's at question.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
After factoring in the work done in expansion, I get 0.059 eV as the binding energy.

So the correct approach is to use the Clausius-Clapeyron equation to calculate the change in internal energy, and then divide that by the number of molecules to get the binding energy. This gives an answer of 0.059 eV, which is consistent with the given answer.

1. What is binding energy?

Binding energy is the energy required to keep a molecule or atom together. It is the amount of energy needed to break the bonds between atoms in a substance.

2. How is binding energy related to latent heat of vaporization?

Latent heat of vaporization is the amount of energy required to change a substance from liquid to gas state. This energy is used to overcome the binding energy that holds the molecules of the substance together.

3. Can binding energy be calculated from latent heat of vaporization?

Yes, binding energy can be calculated from latent heat of vaporization. The equation E = h * m can be used, where E is the binding energy, h is the latent heat of vaporization, and m is the mass of the substance.

4. What is the significance of determining binding energy from latent heat of vaporization?

Determining binding energy from latent heat of vaporization can provide valuable information about the strength of the bonds between molecules in a substance. This information can be useful in various fields such as material science, chemistry, and thermodynamics.

5. Are there any limitations to determining binding energy from latent heat of vaporization?

Yes, there are some limitations to this method. It assumes that the substance is in a closed system and that all the latent heat of vaporization is used to overcome the binding energy. In reality, there may be other factors such as external pressure or temperature that can affect the calculation.