1. PF Contest - Win "Conquering the Physics GRE" book! Click Here to Enter
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Determining "boundedness" of particles in an n body simulation

1. Sep 11, 2014 #1
    is there a numerical method to determine whether two bodies will stay bounded forever in an n body simulation? i know if the energy of a particle orbitting the origin is negative, then it is bounded, where -∫(force)dr+(dr/dt)2/2=energy.
    but im curious about a genereral case, where there are more than 2 bodys, and even forces that are not inverse square proportional where i dont necessarily have a potential to subtract kinetic energy from, just the ability to numerically do the line integral of force
    ∫ [Fx,fy,fz]*[dx/dt,dy/dt,dz/dt] dt
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 11, 2014 #2

2017 Award

Staff: Mentor

As soon as you have more than two objects, that is not possible in general any more. Energy doesn't help - two objects can move to a closer orbit, giving energy to a third (escaping) object, so a total negative energy does not mean the objects have to stay together (but two of them will).

You can simulate the system for a very long time, of course, but then numerical errors are problematic.

For two objects: if you can write down a potential, then you can check if energy conservation allows a separation. Note that this is not sufficient - a 1/r^3-law with two objects for example has circular orbits, but also unstable trajectories leading either to a separation or a collision.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook