How can I optimise my N-body Simulation code further?

In summary, the conversation discusses the writer's dissatisfaction with their brute force N-body code in python, which has been optimized with cython and MPI but still has poor performance. The code calculates the trajectories of large systems of 10k-30k bodies using direct summation, and includes cythonized acceleration and integration calculations. The writer is seeking advice on how to further optimize the code.
Chaoyi Zhang

Homework Statement

I wrote a brute force O(N^2) N-body code in python and I am not happy with its performance despite the fact that I have cythonised the calculation heavy parts as well as implemented MPI. I am currently out of ideas for how to optimise it further, can I get some advice please?
Edit: the code solve gravitational systems with very large N (10k - 30k) bodies by calculating the trajectories of all the bodies. By brute force, I mean direct summation, summing the force from each particle at each timestep, moving the particles then repeating the process.
Here's a link to my code: https://1drv.ms/f/s!Aks13DdO4pS0jAfWncIFbjg07HpR

calc2.pyx is the acceleration and leapfrog integration calculation written with cython

Nbtest_2.py runs the simulation

setup_calc2.py cythonises calc2.pyx

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to the PF. :smile:

Is this really homework? Seems like it would fit better in the Programming forums...

Also, I didn't click into your code, but if it isn't too large, you can use the code tags to post your code here at the PF. Like this but without the spaces inside the brackets:

[ code=Python ]
<< insert your code here >>
[ /code ]

1. How can I improve the efficiency of my N-body simulation code?

There are several ways to improve the efficiency of your N-body simulation code. One approach is to use a more efficient algorithm, such as the Barnes-Hut algorithm or the Fast Multipole Method. Another option is to optimize your code by reducing unnecessary calculations and using parallel computing techniques. Additionally, choosing appropriate data structures and optimizing memory usage can also greatly improve efficiency.

2. What is the best way to handle large data sets in N-body simulations?

Handling large data sets in N-body simulations can be challenging, but there are a few strategies that can help. One approach is to use data compression techniques to reduce the amount of data that needs to be stored and processed. Another option is to use parallel computing techniques to distribute the workload across multiple processors. Additionally, using efficient data structures and optimizing memory usage can also help with handling large data sets.

3. How can I reduce the runtime of my N-body simulation code?

Reducing the runtime of your N-body simulation code can be achieved through a variety of methods. One approach is to use a more efficient algorithm, such as the Barnes-Hut algorithm or the Fast Multipole Method. Another option is to optimize your code by reducing unnecessary calculations and using parallel computing techniques. Additionally, optimizing memory usage and using efficient data structures can also help to reduce runtime.

4. What are some common errors that can occur in N-body simulation code?

Some common errors that can occur in N-body simulation code include numerical instability, incorrect implementation of algorithms, and memory leaks. It is important to thoroughly test and debug your code to ensure it is functioning correctly. Additionally, using appropriate error handling techniques can help to identify and resolve any errors that may occur.

5. How can I validate the results of my N-body simulation?

Validating the results of your N-body simulation is crucial to ensure the accuracy of your code. One approach is to compare your results with analytical solutions or results from other well-established simulations. Additionally, performing sensitivity analyses and varying input parameters can help to validate the accuracy of your results. It is also important to thoroughly test and debug your code to ensure it is functioning correctly.