1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Determining convergence of a sum

1. Jan 31, 2013 #1
    I'd really appreciate some help with a sum of:

a_n= |sin n| / n

All I've thought of, is that I should probably create a subsequence of {a_n}, such that all the elements of this subsequence {a_n_k} are >epsilon >0, and then compare the subsequence to 1/n which diverges.
    However, I have no idea how to go about this. I don't know how to show, that there really is 'enough' of >epsilon>0 terms. I can't think of a pattern by which to choose only those n, for which a_n > epsilon>0, and I don't really know whether that's possible. If I knew that | sin n| > 0.1 for all n=4k -2 or something like that, it would probably be easy, but since that seems impossible, I don't know what to do.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 31, 2013 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

No, that won't work. Try to think more basic. Suppose |sin n|<1/10. Can you show |sin(n+1)|>1/10? That would mean for every pair of numbers n, n+1 then either |sin n| or |sin n+1|>1/10. What could you do with that?

4. Jan 31, 2013 #3
    Thanks.

If I prove that, should I then take a series of:
    b_k = a_2k-1 + a_2k, and say that for all k element N, b_k >= (1/10) * (1/2k) = 1/20k, which diverges?

5. Jan 31, 2013 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Sure that's the idea. And proving my statement can be done pretty crudely. Just draw a graph of the sine function and it should be easy to convince yourself.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook