1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Determining distance of travel with friction acting on a car.

1. Nov 12, 2009 #1
    1. A car is traveling at 51 mi/h on a horizontal highway. If the coefficient of static friction between the road and tires on a rainy day is .102 what is the minimum distance in which the car will stop.

2. f=un f=ma kinetics equations

3. No idea here. Teacher barely skimmed over friction so far and all problems we have done in class either had a value of acceleration, a mass or a force. This one has none of those.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 12, 2009 #2
    can u imagine what will happen to the car?

4. Nov 12, 2009 #3
    I know it will stop eventually but I don't know how far it will go. I made a free body diagram but it wasn't very useful without knowing the cars mass.

5. Nov 14, 2009 #4
    In your free body diagram, do u have these 3 forces:

the weight od the car, the normal force exerted by the ground, and the friction force? :)

6. Nov 14, 2009 #5
    Alright I got it. It turns out that the masses cancel.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook