Solving for the friction without mass

In summary, a car is traveling at 48.0 km/h on a flat highway. If the coefficient of friction between road and tires on a rainy day is 0.100, what is the minimum distance in which the car will stop? If the surface is dry and the coefficient of friction is 0.600, what is the stopping distance?
ngorecki

Homework Statement

A car is traveling at 48.0 km/h on a flat highway.
(a) If the coefficient of friction between road and tires on a rainy day is 0.100, what is the minimum distance in which the car will stop?

(b) What is the stopping distance when the surface is dry and the coefficient of friction is 0.600?

Homework Equations

F = ma
Ff = u*Fn
kinematics equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I attempted to get the F in F = ma to equal the friction equation because friction is the only force acting on the car.
so i got:
F = Ff
ma = μ*Fn
ma = μ*m*g
a = μ*g
a = .1*-9.8
a = -.98

Vf^2 = Vi^2 + 2aX
0 = 48^2 + 2(-.98)(X)
-2304 = -1.96 (X)
1175.5 = X

But this isn't correct... So i was hoping someone would be able to show me the error of my ways so i could fix part a and do part b

Physics news on Phys.org
Check your units. Do you think it is reasonable for a car traveling at a moderate speed to take over 1000 meters to stop?

it doesn't seem reasonable...

could i get a hint potentially?

What is the unit of your x?ehild

meters

Why? Substitute the data together with their units.

ehild

ehild said:
Why? Substitute the data together with their units.

ehild

What?

You calculated x from the equation vf^2=vi^2-2ax. What are the units of vf, vi and a?

ehild

v = m/s
g = m/s/s

v = km/h
my bad

Do you get the right values when substituting v is m/s?:biggrin:

ehild

could you explain that a little more...?

X=vi^2/(2a). If you substitute vi in km/h, you get x in (km/h)^2s^2/m. Does it have sense? You need to convert km/h to m/s to get X in meters.

[tex]X=\frac{(V (m/s))^2}{2*0.1*9.8 (m/s^2)}=\frac{(V (m/s))^2}{2*0.1*9.8 (m/s^2)}[/tex]

ehild

ehild said:
X=vi^2/(2a)

i used this equation to get 1175.51 km.
to get meters i would divide by 1000, right?
to get a stopping distance of 1.17551 meters?

The car is traveling 48 km/hr. Are these units consistent with a g = 9.81 m/s/s?

I got it!
i wasn't doing the conversion right.
right away when the velocity is 48 km/hr i needed to change that to meter/sec. so 48 km/hr = 13.3 m/s.
then plug 13.3 into the equation X=vi^2/(2μa)
resulting in
A = 90.25 m
B = 15.041 m
THANK YOU VERY MUCH!

they are not consistent...
soo i would convert 48 km/hr to 13.3 m/s
so using x=v^2/(2ua)
for (a) i got 90.25
and (b) i got 15.041

These seem accurate... thank you very much for your help!

Good work at last!

ehild

1. What is friction and why is it important to solve for it without mass?

Friction is a force that opposes motion between two surfaces in contact. It is important to solve for friction without mass because it allows us to understand and predict the behavior of objects in motion, which is crucial in many scientific and engineering fields.

2. How can friction be calculated without taking mass into account?

Friction can be calculated using the coefficient of friction, which is a dimensionless value that represents the amount of friction between two surfaces. This value can be determined experimentally or through theoretical calculations.

3. What are the factors that affect friction without mass?

The main factors that affect friction without mass are the type of surfaces in contact, the roughness of the surfaces, and the normal force between the surfaces. The coefficient of friction also varies depending on the materials and conditions.

4. Is there a universal coefficient of friction without mass?

No, there is not a universal coefficient of friction without mass. The coefficient of friction can vary greatly depending on the factors mentioned above. Additionally, the coefficient of friction can change over time due to wear, temperature, and other factors.

5. How is friction without mass used in real-world applications?

Friction without mass is used in many real-world applications, including transportation, sports, and manufacturing. It is crucial in designing efficient and safe systems, such as car brakes, sports equipment, and machines. Understanding friction also allows us to reduce wear and tear on surfaces and improve overall performance.