Will a Car Skid? | Friction and Centripetal Acceleration

• Thread starter Joe Cruz
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Car
In summary, the car will skid if the static friction force is greater than the kinetic friction force.
Joe Cruz
1. A car travels around a circle with a diameter of 500m at a constant speed of 25 m/s. The static friction coefficient is 0.3 and the kinetic friction coefficient is 0.2. Will the car skid?

2. F = ma. Ffr = μmg. Centripetal acceleration = v2/radius3. So the math for this particular problem was really simple, my problem seems to be more of a conceptual one.

The force acting on the car = F = m(252/250) = m(2.5)
The static friction force = Fsfr = m(.3)(9.8) = m(2.94)
The kinetic friction force = Fkfr = m(.2)(9.8) = m(1.96)

My first assumption is that the car is going to skid since the car is moving and the force acting on the car exceeds the kinetic friction force, but since Fkfr < F < Fsfr, I'm not entirely sure if this is the correct answer. Anyone want to help clarify this problem for me?

Physics news on Phys.org
What do you think it means to skid? What is the difference in the frictional forces acting on a car that is skidding and those on a car that is not skidding? At what point will a car become uncontrollable and begin to skid?

Ask yourself: If the car was not to skid, what kind of friction must act?

First, just want to say Mastodon is the dang. Second, I'm assuming skidding means the force acting on the object exceeds the force of friction.

To answer you Doc, I would say the kinetic friction. My problem is that the force of friction is acting perpendicular to the motion of the car itself, and if only the kinetic friction was determining whether the car would skid, why would he include the static friction coefficient as well? Unless it was just there to distract me...

Likes AlephNumbers
Joe Cruz said:
I'm assuming skidding means the force acting on the object exceeds the force of friction.
What kind of friction?

Joe Cruz said:
To answer you Doc, I would say the kinetic friction.
That would be incorrect. Realize that when the tire skids the surfaces are slipping against each other--and that means kinetic friction. So only if skidding occurs will kinetic friction be involved.

Joe Cruz said:
My problem is that the force of friction is acting perpendicular to the motion of the car itself, and if only the kinetic friction was determining whether the car would skid, why would he include the static friction coefficient as well? Unless it was just there to distract me...
The force that prevents the car from skidding outward--the force that keeps it moving in a circle--must be static friction. The question is: Is there enough static friction to provide the needed centripetal force?

Doc Al said:
That would be incorrect. Realize that when the tire skids the surfaces are slipping against each other--and that means kinetic friction. So only if skidding occurs will kinetic friction be involved.

The car being in motion really confused me, but that cleared everything up for me. Thank you.

1. What is the role of friction in causing a car to skid?

Friction plays a crucial role in causing a car to skid. When a car is in motion, friction between the tires and the road surface provides the necessary force to keep the car moving in the desired direction. However, if the force of friction is overcome by other forces, such as centrifugal force, the car can skid and lose control.

2. How does centripetal acceleration affect a car's ability to skid?

Centripetal acceleration refers to the acceleration of an object moving in a circular path. In the case of a car, this acceleration is provided by the friction between the tires and the road surface. If the car is traveling at a high speed or making a sharp turn, the centripetal acceleration can increase, making it more likely for the car to skid.

3. What factors can increase the likelihood of a car skidding?

There are several factors that can increase the likelihood of a car skidding. These include wet or icy road conditions, worn or underinflated tires, and driving at high speeds. Additionally, factors such as distracted driving, sudden braking, and improper steering can also contribute to a car skidding.

4. How can drivers prevent a car from skidding?

There are several measures that drivers can take to prevent a car from skidding. These include maintaining proper tire pressure and tread, driving at a safe speed, and avoiding sudden movements such as braking or steering. It is also important to pay attention to road conditions and adjust driving accordingly.

5. Can a car skid even on a dry road?

Yes, a car can still skid on a dry road. While friction is typically stronger on dry roads, it can still be overcome by external forces such as sudden braking or sharp turns. In addition, factors such as worn tires or improper weight distribution can also contribute to a car skidding on a dry road.