Determining Functional groups - carboxylic acid, ester etc

In summary, the conversation discusses identifying functional groups present in two compounds, Methyl Hydroxybenzoate and 2-Hydroxypropanoic acid. The suggested method is to refer to a table of common functional groups or use an organic chemistry textbook. The correct structure for 2-Hydroxypropanoic acid is also clarified.
Davs

Homework Statement

What functional groups are present based on the compound's names?
A. Methyl Hydroxybenzoate
B. 2-Hydroxypropanoic acid

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

We've learned about the basic Hydrocarbon derivatives in class, but only dealing with problems
like propanoic acid or methanoic acid, methyl propanoate or ethyl methanoate. These I fully understand them, but I can't quite understand how to disassemble this problem and find it's functional groups.
Any help with be appreciated.

- David

Physics news on Phys.org
I reckon the best way would be to have a look a table of prefixes/suffixes for different functional groups and see if you can match them to the names above. Do you have an organic chemistry textbook? Most textbooks seem to have a table of the common functional groups. If not, then you could use this (though this table is probably more extensive than what you need):

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Functional_group#Table_of_common_functional_groups

Hmm, I'll take a look at the list. Is there any other other way of breaking down the compound names? I know hydroxy is referring to -OH and I know the formula for propanoic acid is:
O
||
CH3-CH2-CH2-C-OH

edit: can't post this thing right.. the the carbonyl is between CH2 and OH

Your structure is wrong. You have butanoic acid there. Propionic acid has only 3 carbons. You also dropped the 2-hydroxy group.

I didn't clarify which one I was talking about oops. I was referring to 2-Hydroxypropanoic acid
Said that the -OH (Hydroxy) combined with propanoic acid to form the above acid.

It doesn't help, as chemisttree wrote your structure is that of butanoic acid and has nothing to do with 2-hydroxypropanoic acid.

1. What are functional groups?

Functional groups are specific atoms or groups of atoms that are responsible for the chemical and physical properties of a molecule. They determine the reactivity, polarity, and intermolecular forces of a compound.

2. How do you determine functional groups in a molecule?

The functional groups in a molecule can be determined by analyzing the structure of the molecule and identifying specific groups of atoms that exhibit certain characteristics, such as a double bond, a hydroxyl group, or a carbonyl group.

3. What is a carboxylic acid functional group?

A carboxylic acid functional group is a group of atoms consisting of a carbon atom double bonded to an oxygen atom (carbonyl group) and a hydroxyl group (OH group) attached to the same carbon atom. It is commonly found in organic acids and contributes to their acidic properties.

4. What is an ester functional group?

An ester functional group is a group of atoms consisting of a carbon atom double bonded to an oxygen atom (carbonyl group) and an oxygen atom attached to another carbon atom. It is commonly found in organic compounds known as esters, which have a distinct fruity or floral odor.

5. How do functional groups affect the properties of a molecule?

The presence of different functional groups in a molecule can greatly influence its physical and chemical properties. For example, a molecule with a hydroxyl group (OH) will be more polar and have stronger intermolecular forces than a molecule with only carbon and hydrogen atoms. Functional groups can also determine the acidity, basicity, and reactivity of a molecule.