IUPAC Naming of Organic Compounds: Cis and Trans Isomers with Substituent Groups

  • Thread starter Thread starter dolpho
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Compounds Organic
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 4K views
dolpho
Messages
66
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



Give an acceptable IUPAC name for these compounds.

http://i.imgur.com/tHUpwYK.png

The Attempt at a Solution



So the question is really on the 2nd problem in the picture but I need to reference the first one for my question.

So my original guess on the 2nd problem was. Cis-3-secbutyl, 1-methylcyclopentane

I looked up the answer and it was... Cis-1-methyl-3-(1-methyl)propylcyclopentane

So I sort of understand how naming complex substituent groups work so I applied it to the first question and got... trans 1-(1-methyl)ethyl, 3-methylcyclohexane. The answer to that was trans-1-isopropyl-3-methylcyclohexane.

So just to reiterate my question, is Cis-3-secbutyl,1-methylcyclopentane the same as Cis-1-methyl-3-(1-methyl)propylcyclopentane?

If it's not I'd appreciate any help :D
 
Physics news on Phys.org
dolpho said:
is Cis-3-secbutyl,1-methylcyclopentane the same as Cis-1-methyl-3-(1-methyl)propylcyclopentane?
Yes. My gut says that "sec butyl" is more informative than 1-methylpropyl (since this is just a butyl chain), but IUPAC is wacky like that.