Determining intial rates of reaction

• Thread starter dnt
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Reaction
In summary, the conversation discusses the initial rate of reaction for the reaction C2H5Br + OH- --> C2H5OH + Br- at a temperature of 85 degrees. The question asks if the fact that there are two different concentrations given makes a difference in the answer, and how to use those numbers. The rate equation for the reaction is determined to be rate = k[C2H5Br][OH]. The table of different temperatures and associated k values, as well as the activation energy and frequency factor for the reaction, are also mentioned. The main question is whether the given concentrations affect the answer and if they should be the same at equilibrium.
dnt
problem states:

C2H5Br + OH- --> C2H5OH + Br-

if the reaction mixture is .16 M C2H5Br and .26 M OH-, then what is the intial rate of reaction at 85 degrees.

they also give a table of different temperatures and the associated k values at each. i also determined the activation energy and frequency factor for the reaction (if it matters at all for this question).

my main question is, is the fact that there are two different concentrations given make a difference in the answer? how do i use those numbers? shouldn't they be the same if the reaction is at equilibrium?
thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
What is rate equation?

i think i solved it:

rate = k[C2H5Br ][OH]

correct?

1. How do you determine the initial rate of a reaction?

The initial rate of a reaction can be determined by measuring the change in concentration of a reactant or product over a short period of time at the beginning of the reaction. This can be done by using a spectrophotometer, pH meter, or other analytical tools.

2. Why is it important to determine the initial rate of a reaction?

The initial rate of a reaction gives important information about the speed or rate at which a reaction takes place. This information can be used to understand the reaction mechanism, optimize reaction conditions, and predict the outcome of a reaction.

3. What factors can affect the initial rate of a reaction?

The initial rate of a reaction can be affected by various factors such as temperature, concentration of reactants and catalysts, surface area of reactants, and presence of inhibitors or impurities.

4. How can the initial rate of a reaction be determined experimentally?

Experimentally, the initial rate of a reaction can be determined by measuring the change in concentration of a reactant or product over a short period of time. This can be done by taking multiple measurements at different time intervals, and using the slope of the resulting graph to calculate the initial rate.

5. Can the initial rate of a reaction change over time?

Yes, the initial rate of a reaction can change over time as the concentration of reactants decreases or products accumulate. This is due to the fact that the reaction rate is dependent on the concentration of reactants, and as the reaction proceeds, the concentration of reactants decreases.