1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Determining power output at different time intervals

1. Dec 18, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A 49.0 kg sprinter, starting from rest, runs 58.0 m in 9.90 s at constant acceleration.
    What is the sprinter's power output at 1.90 s , 3.00 s , and 5.70 s ?

2. Relevant equations
    ##d=v_it + \frac{1}{2}at^2##
    ##F=ma##
    ##W=Fd##
    ##P=\frac{W}{t}##

3. The attempt at a solution
    I got the acceleration from given data:
    ##58=(0)(9.9) + \frac{1}{2}(a)(9.9)^2 \longrightarrow a \approx 1.184 m/s^2##
    Then I got the force:
    ##F=(49)(1.184) \approx 58 N##
    Then I tried to calculate the distance traveled at different time intervals, starting with at ##t=1.90##:
    ##d=\frac{1}{2}(1.184)(1.9)^2 \approx 2.14##
    Finally, I tried to get Work and then Power from that:
    ##W=Fd=(58)(2.14)=123.9 J \longrightarrow P=\frac{W}{s}=\frac{123.9}{1.9} \approx 65.2 W##
    However, this is not correct, the correct answer is 130 W. What am I doing wrong here?

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 18, 2016 #2

nrqed

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You need to use the formula Power = F v (force times velocity) and use the velocities at the given times. (Basically, what you calculated are average power over the given time intervals, while they want the instantaneous powers at the given times)

4. Dec 18, 2016 #3
    Ah okay, so using ##v_f = v_i + at## I get ##v_f = (1.184)(1.9) \approx 2.25## and then ##P = Fv = 58(2.25) \approx 130 W## is correct. If anyone sees this, could they explain why this formula works when the previous one doesn't? Still trying to wrap my head around that.

5. Dec 18, 2016 #4

nrqed

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Think about the equation ## P = F \frac{d}{t} ##, this is really ## P = F \frac{\Delta x}{\Delta t} ##, this gives a power output between two instants separated by a time ## \Delta t## and while the object moved a distance ##\Delta x##. This involved a choice of two instants so one essentially calculates an average power output. If the velocity is constant, the power obtained this way is the same as the instantaneous power at every instant because the power output is constant. if the velocity is not constant, to get the instantaneous power output at a given instant one must take a limit:

$$P_{inst} = lim_{\Delta t \rightarrow 0} ~~ F ~\frac{\Delta x}{\Delta t} = F \, v_{inst} $$

6. Dec 18, 2016 #5
    Thanks a bunch, that really clarifies it!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted