Determining radius at which 50% of energy is in the profile.

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 2K views
nabeel17
Messages
57
Reaction score
1

Homework Statement


I have to determine the radius at which 50% of energy is in a Gaussian profile.

Homework Equations


The intensity is given by I=Ioe^(-r/2c)^2. This is just a gaussian function ofcourse.

The Attempt at a Solution


I know c is the standard deviation. I searched through charts that 50% of the data set is contained within about 0.67 standard deviations. So can i set I/i0 to 0.5 and set c=0.67? I feel like this is not the correct method though. What I need is the area under the gaussian curve that is 50%. So I need to integrate between values of -r and r that will give me an answer of 50 % but I don't know what values those are.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
##c## sets the length scale of the problem. Your value for ##r## will be expressed as some multiple of ##c##.

You need to be a little more careful here. Your Gaussian is a two-dimensional Gaussian, not the one-dimensional Gaussian you've assumed. That is, you actually have
$$e^{-\frac{r^2}{2\sigma^2}} = e^{-\frac{x^2+y^2}{2\sigma^2}}.$$ You have to integrate with respect to polar coordinates ##r## and ##\theta##, not just ##r## alone.
 
vela said:
##c## sets the length scale of the problem. Your value for ##r## will be expressed as some multiple of ##c##.

You need to be a little more careful here. Your Gaussian is a two-dimensional Gaussian, not the one-dimensional Gaussian you've assumed. That is, you actually have
$$e^{-\frac{r^2}{2\sigma^2}} = e^{-\frac{x^2+y^2}{2\sigma^2}}.$$ You have to integrate with respect to polar coordinates ##r## and ##\theta##, not just ##r## alone.
right so I can just multiply by 2pi and integrate with respect to r. But I don't know how to integrate this. My value of r will be a multiple of c...so I can rewrite r as n*c? and try integrating that?
 
nabeel17 said:
right so I can just multiply by 2pi and integrate with respect to r.
Not exactly. What's the area element for polar coordinates?
 
vela said:
Not exactly. What's the area element for polar coordinates?
rdrdtheta but what are the limits?