1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Determining radius at which 50% of energy is in the profile.

1. Nov 7, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I have to determine the radius at which 50% of energy is in a Gaussian profile.

2. Relevant equations
    The intensity is given by I=Ioe^(-r/2c)^2. This is just a gaussian function ofcourse.

3. The attempt at a solution
    I know c is the standard deviation. I searched through charts that 50% of the data set is contained within about 0.67 standard deviations. So can i set I/i0 to 0.5 and set c=0.67? I feel like this is not the correct method though. What I need is the area under the gaussian curve that is 50%. So I need to integrate between values of -r and r that will give me an answer of 50 % but I dont know what values those are.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 7, 2014 #2

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

##c## sets the length scale of the problem. Your value for ##r## will be expressed as some multiple of ##c##.

You need to be a little more careful here. Your Gaussian is a two-dimensional Gaussian, not the one-dimensional Gaussian you've assumed. That is, you actually have
    $$e^{-\frac{r^2}{2\sigma^2}} = e^{-\frac{x^2+y^2}{2\sigma^2}}.$$ You have to integrate with respect to polar coordinates ##r## and ##\theta##, not just ##r## alone.

4. Nov 7, 2014 #3
    right so I can just multiply by 2pi and integrate with respect to r. But I don't know how to integrate this. My value of r will be a multiple of c...so I can rewrite r as n*c? and try integrating that?

5. Nov 7, 2014 #4

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

Not exactly. What's the area element for polar coordinates?

6. Nov 8, 2014 #5
    rdrdtheta but what are the limits?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted