Determine the intensity profile and fwhm for gaussian beam.

Assuming you are not a shy guy, you may ask your prof for a possible solution.In summary, the problem involves determining the intensity profile and fwhm of a beam with a wavelength of 600 nm, initially having a Gaussian shape with a fwhm of 1 mm. The information provided is insufficient to solve the problem, as it is missing either the beam waist diameter or the distance between the initial plane and the beam waist. Without this information, it is impossible to determine the intensity profile and fwhm 10 meters away. This question may require further clarification from the professor.
Aerozeppelin

Homework Statement

A beam of wavelength 600 nm has initially an intensity profile of Gaussian shape with a
fwhm of 1 mm. Determine the intensity profile and fwhm 10 meter away.

Homework Equations

FWHM = λ/(2NA√(1 + I/Is))

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
FWHM1 = 1mm = 600 nm/(2NA√(1 + I/Is))

(2NA√(1 + I/Is)) = 0.0006m
NA2(1+ I/Is) = 0.00015

10meters away :

NA2(1+ I/Is) = (0.00015)/10 = 0.000015

Physics news on Phys.org
Where is the initial information are given? Is it at the beam waist?

This is all the information given!

You have to know either the beam waist diameter or the distance between the initial plane and the beam waist. Without these information you can only guess what the question maker means with "initially" in the question's wording.

There must be a solution as it was on an exam?

If I were to face such a problem in an exam, exactly worded as you have written, I would be most likely not overwhelmed by shyness to ask the prof for a greater detail about the initial plane.

1. What is a gaussian beam?

A gaussian beam is a type of laser beam that has a bell-shaped intensity profile, with the highest intensity at the center and gradually decreasing towards the edges.

2. How is the intensity profile of a gaussian beam determined?

The intensity profile of a gaussian beam is determined by its parameters, such as the beam waist, wavelength, and divergence angle. It can also be calculated using mathematical equations, such as the Gaussian beam equation.

3. What is the FWHM of a gaussian beam?

The FWHM (full width at half maximum) of a gaussian beam is the distance between the two points on the beam's intensity profile where the intensity is half of the maximum intensity. It is a measure of the beam's width or diameter.

4. How is the FWHM of a gaussian beam calculated?

The FWHM of a gaussian beam can be calculated using the equation FWHM=2.355*w, where w is the beam waist. Alternatively, it can also be determined by finding the points on the intensity profile where the intensity is half of the maximum intensity and calculating the distance between them.

5. What affects the FWHM and intensity profile of a gaussian beam?

The FWHM and intensity profile of a gaussian beam can be affected by various factors, such as the laser source, beam quality, and any obstructions or aberrations in the beam path. Additionally, changes in the beam parameters, such as the beam waist, can also impact the FWHM and intensity profile.