Determine the intensity profile and fwhm for gaussian beam.

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
5 replies · 3K views
Aerozeppelin
Messages
16
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



A beam of wavelength 600 nm has initially an intensity profile of Gaussian shape with a
fwhm of 1 mm. Determine the intensity profile and fwhm 10 meter away.

Homework Equations



FWHM = λ/(2NA√(1 + I/Is))

The Attempt at a Solution


[/B]
FWHM1 = 1mm = 600 nm/(2NA√(1 + I/Is))

(2NA√(1 + I/Is)) = 0.0006m
NA2(1+ I/Is) = 0.00015

10meters away :

NA2(1+ I/Is) = (0.00015)/10 = 0.000015
 
Physics news on Phys.org
You have to know either the beam waist diameter or the distance between the initial plane and the beam waist. Without these information you can only guess what the question maker means with "initially" in the question's wording.
 
There must be a solution as it was on an exam?
 
If I were to face such a problem in an exam, exactly worded as you have written, I would be most likely not overwhelmed by shyness to ask the prof for a greater detail about the initial plane.