Determining Terms in $\sum_{n=-N}^{N}|e^{J\frac{\pi}{4}n}|^2$

  • Topic:
  • Thread starter Thread starter Drain Brain
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Terms
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
5 replies · 3K views
Drain Brain
Messages
143
Reaction score
0


I just want to know how do I determine the number of terms will be in this summation. The answer to this 2N+1 terms. I can only arrive at preliminary steps of solving this. can you tell why 2N+1 is the number of terms? I know that the magnitude of complex exponential function squared would result to one.

$\sum_{n=-N}^{N}|e^{J\frac{\pi}{4}n}|^2$
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Drain Brain said:
I just want to know how do I determine the number of terms will be in this summation. The answer to this 2N+1 terms. I can only arrive at preliminary steps of solving this. can you tell why 2N+1 is the number of terms? I know that the magnitude of complex exponential function squared would result to one.

$\sum_{n=-N}^{N}|e^{J\frac{\pi}{4}n}|^2$

as n is from -N to N the total number of terms is N ( -N to -1) + 1 ( zero) + N ( 1 to N) = 2N + 1

Within parenthesis I have mentioned the range
 
kaliprasad said:
as n is from -N to N the total number of terms is N ( -N to -1) + 1 ( zero) + N ( 1 to N) = 2N + 1

Within parenthesis I have mentioned the range

Hi kaliprasad! How did you choose the range?
 
Drain Brain said:
Hi kaliprasad! How did you choose the range?

In the sum that is (sigma) n is from -N to N and hence the range
 
kaliprasad said:
In the sum that is (sigma) n is from -N to N and hence the range

why it is only -N to -1, 0, and 1 to N? I'm thinking of other ranges like -N to -2 etc.. I'm confused. Please help.
 
Drain Brain said:
why it is only -N to -1, 0, and 1 to N? I'm thinking of other ranges like -N to -2 etc.. I'm confused. Please help.

Sorry for the confusion. I counted the number of -ve values, positive values and zero separately. from -N to +N it is 2N+1 values