Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Determining the amount of Silica in Water

1. Feb 3, 2010 #1
    I need to create a procedure for doing what the title says. I have researched online, but have not found any way (I did find one pre-made procedure, but it cost $38).

I am at a loss, given the relative inertness of silica and the fact that it is a colorless solution.

Does anyone have any suggestions? Or pointers?

Thanks,
    Nkk

Also, I did not consider this a homework question, but if the mods feel it is too homework-ish, then my apologies.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2010
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 3, 2010 #2

chemisttree

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

There is a molybdenum blue method. You may have to pay for it online. It's probably free at the local college library.

4. Feb 4, 2010 #3
    If your solution has only silica and water in it (ie no salts or other non-volatiles) you could simply weigh out a certain amount of your solution (in a preweighed container - preferrably ceramic) and put it in the oven at over 250 C or so until it is completely dry then weigh what you have left...the silica will not evaporate off.

Cheers,

FM

5. Feb 12, 2010 #4
    I'm not sure this meets your requirements, but it seems to me that if you know the densities of silica and water you should be able to figure out the concentration of a solution to a reasonable precision with a cylinder, a scale, and a calculator.

6. Feb 12, 2010 #5

chemisttree

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

That method would not be specific for silica. It is a rare thing to analyze a pure solution of silica and water.

7. Feb 12, 2010 #6
    Interesting. Any suggestions for further reading? Google terms other than "aqueous silica solution"?

8. Feb 12, 2010 #7

chemisttree

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

How about 'molybdenum blue' and 'silica'?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook