Determining the amount of Silica in Water

  • Thread starter Thread starter nkk2008
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Water
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
6 replies · 4K views
nkk2008
Messages
32
Reaction score
0
I need to create a procedure for doing what the title says. I have researched online, but have not found any way (I did find one pre-made procedure, but it cost $38).

I am at a loss, given the relative inertness of silica and the fact that it is a colorless solution.

Does anyone have any suggestions? Or pointers?

Thanks,
Nkk

Also, I did not consider this a homework question, but if the mods feel it is too homework-ish, then my apologies.
 
Last edited:
Chemistry news on Phys.org
There is a molybdenum blue method. You may have to pay for it online. It's probably free at the local college library.
 
If your solution has only silica and water in it (ie no salts or other non-volatiles) you could simply weigh out a certain amount of your solution (in a preweighed container - preferably ceramic) and put it in the oven at over 250 C or so until it is completely dry then weigh what you have left...the silica will not evaporate off.

Cheers,

FM
 
I'm not sure this meets your requirements, but it seems to me that if you know the densities of silica and water you should be able to figure out the concentration of a solution to a reasonable precision with a cylinder, a scale, and a calculator.
 
That method would not be specific for silica. It is a rare thing to analyze a pure solution of silica and water.
 
chemisttree said:
That method would not be specific for silica. It is a rare thing to analyze a pure solution of silica and water.
Interesting. Any suggestions for further reading? Google terms other than "aqueous silica solution"?