1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Determining the change in temperature

1. Feb 7, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A person sitting in a room has a heat output of 200W. Please calculate...

A) How much energy does a room of 45 people release over a course of 1 hour?
    B) Assuming that all the energy in part a is transferred to a room of 300 M^3 of air. The air has a specific heat capacity of 1020 J/KxKg and density of 1.20. If none of the heat escapes, how much will the temperature change over time of 50 minutes?

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

For part A I found that the energy would be 45x200x3600 seconds = 3.24 x 10^7

For part B however, I tried to determine the mass by rearranging the density formula, multiplying density by volume. using that number in Q=Mc (delta T), and rearranging the formula, i get a change of around 60 Kelvin. But I know that can't be right...What am I doing wrong?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 7, 2010 #2

kuruman

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Can you show us exactly how you got the temperature change to be 60 K? Then maybe we could figure out what you are doing wrong.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook