1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Determining the convergence/divergence of this series

1. Mar 19, 2013 #1
    I am required to determine the convergence/divergence of the following series:
    $$ \sum_{n = 2}^{\infty} \frac{1}{(ln(n))^{ln(n)}}$$

Which test should I use? Wolfram Alpha says that the comparison test was used to determine that it was convergent, but I have no idea what series I should compare it to.

It also said that the root/ratio tests gave inconclusive results.

Thanks!

Last edited: Mar 19, 2013
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 19, 2013 #2

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

How does n play a role here?

4. Mar 19, 2013 #3
    Apologies, it should be as x approaches infinity...

Thanks for the fix!

5. Mar 19, 2013 #4

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

Then this is what you want.
    $$ \sum_{n = 2}^{\infty} \frac{1}{(ln(n))^{ln(n)}}$$

6. Mar 19, 2013 #5
    That's correct

7. Mar 19, 2013 #6
    Integral test! (joking)

First, rewrite the sum using ##e^{\ln z} = z##. Then use the fact that after some finite value of ##n##, ##\ln n > a, \; a>0##. Here, I would just pick a value of ##a##, let's use 2. Then:

[tex] \sum_{n=2}^{\infty} \frac{1}{{\ln n}^{\ln n} } = \sum_{n=0}^{\infty} \frac{1}{e^{\ln({\ln n}^{\ln n}) } } = \sum_{n=2}^{\infty} \frac{1}{e^{{\ln n}^{\ln \ln n}} } = \sum_{n=2}^\infty \frac{1}{n^{\ln \ln n}} [/tex]

By some algebraic manipulations, ## \ln n > 2, \, \forall n>e^2 \Longrightarrow \ln \ln n > \ln 2 \Longrightarrow n^{\ln \ln n} > n ^ {\ln 2} \Longrightarrow \frac{1}{n^{\ln \ln n}} < \frac{1}{n^{\ln 2}} ##

Can you finish it from here?

8. Mar 19, 2013 #7
    Thanks for your help. If I'm not mistaken, isn't ## \frac{1}{n^{\ln 2}} ## divergent? Or is there another series that I should be comparing to?

9. Mar 19, 2013 #8

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Yes, it is divergent. piercebeatz was maybe rushing it a little. Try to use the sort of things piercebeatz was using and try to work it out for yourself. Try comparing with a p series 1/n^p. And remember the comparison doesn't have to work for all n. Just for sufficiently large n. p=ln(2) is too small for convergence. There are other choices.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2013
  10. Mar 19, 2013 #9
    Sorry, didn't realize that 2 was a bad choice for a. just let a=e^2 or something like that.

11. Mar 19, 2013 #10

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I would give TogoPogo some time to work this out solo. But sure, your solution was fine in general.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted