1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Determining the damping constant from the ratio of amplitudes

1. Nov 11, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I have measured the amplitude between the first and tenth oscillations for a damped harmonic oscillator (spring with a mass attached). I also have measured the period. First question. Is an (underdamped) harmonic oscillator periodic? Like I know that the solution to the differential equation has a sine/cosine argument in it and it does oscillated with a period. But as time goes on the exponential decreases its amplitude. So can we really call this motion "periodic"?

Anyways my main question is how do I find the damping constant? In the equations section i'll put what my lab manual gives

2. Relevant equations

[tex]\frac{b}{2M}T=\ln\left(\frac{x_1}{x_2}\right)[/tex] where b is the damping constant, M is the mass, T is the period and [itex]x_1[/itex] and [itex]x_2[/itex] are the amplitude of the first and second oscillations respectively

3. The attempt at a solution

This makes sense to me, except for one thing. I do not understand what to do if I measured the 1st and 10th amplitude instead of the first and second. What is the proper way to handle this. The two things I can think of would be to divide the ratio I have by 9, and then just plug it in. I also thought I could use the ratio I have and then multiply the period of one oscillation (which I measured independently) by 9. Neither really makes sense to me though TBH.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 11, 2013 #2
    [STRIKE]They both make sense.[/STRIKE]

If you can start with the equation of the oscillation
    [itex]x(t)=A\cos (\omega t) e^{-\frac{b}{2m} t}[/itex]
    and take t=0 and t=10 T.
    Then calculate the the ratio between x(0) and x(10T).
    The cos part is 1 for both values of time.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2013
  4. Nov 11, 2013 #3
    I can't exactly read what you wrote. The LaTeX is broken I think. If they both make sense then why do they give me different answers? In fact if I do it the first way, I get a negative damping constant...

5. Nov 11, 2013 #4
    You are right. I did not think. Sorry for the confusion.
    Only the one with 10 T makes sense. As it results from the method I described in the previous post.

The Latex looks OK for me.
    But without, the equation is
    x(t)=Acos(omega*t)*exp[(-b/2m)*t]

6. Nov 11, 2013 #5
    ah, thanks. This makes sense now.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted