Determining the equation of a curve.

• Thread starter fire9132
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Curve
In summary, the equation for the curve is 3*d(A,P) = d(P,B), which is the opposite of what you were looking for.
fire9132

Homework Statement

A curve is traced by a point P(x,y) which moves such that its distance from the point A(-1,1) is three times its distance from the point B(2,-1). Determine the equation of the curve.

Homework Equations

None

The Attempt at a Solution

Distance from Point A to Point P:
[tex] \sqrt[2]{(x+1)^{2} + (y-1)^{2}} [/tex]
Distance from Point P to Point B:
[tex] \sqrt[2]{(x-2)^{2} + (y+1)^{2}} [/tex]

Distance from Point A to Point P is three times the distance from Point P to Point B so...
[tex] 3 \sqrt[2]{(x+1)^{2} + (y-1)^{2}} = \sqrt[2]{(x-2)^{2} + (y+1)^{2}} \\
9(x+1)^{2} + 9(y-1)^{2} = (x-2)^{2} + (y+1)^{2} \\
9x^{2} + 18x + 9 + 9y^{2} - 18y - 9 = x^{2} - 4x + 4 + y^{2} + 2y + 2 \\
8x^{2} + 22x + 8y^{2} - 20y + 13 = 0 [/tex]

Doing this gives me the equation of a circle, which I don't think is a curve. After figuring out that the center of that circle was (-11/8, 5/4), the distance from the center to B is not 3 times the distance from the center to A. Then, I think my answer is wrong.

Reanalyzing the problem, I thought of a different approach which was to solve for the equation of a parabola knowing the directrix would be a line going through A(-1,1) and then the focus being (2,-1). However, this would make a slanted parabola and I have no idea how to make an equation for that.

Physics news on Phys.org
Arcs and circles are curves. A curve describes any figure which is not a straight line.

fire9132 said:

Homework Statement

A curve is traced by a point P(x,y) which moves such that its distance from the point A(-1,1) is three times its distance from the point B(2,-1). Determine the equation of the curve.

Homework Equations

None

The Attempt at a Solution

Distance from Point A to Point P:
[tex] \sqrt[2]{(x+1)^{2} + (y-1)^{2}} [/tex]
Distance from Point P to Point B:
[tex] \sqrt[2]{(x-2)^{2} + (y+1)^{2}} [/tex]

Distance from Point A to Point P is three times the distance from Point P to Point B so...
[tex] 3 \sqrt[2]{(x+1)^{2} + (y-1)^{2}} = \sqrt[2]{(x-2)^{2} + (y+1)^{2}} \\
9(x+1)^{2} + 9(y-1)^{2} = (x-2)^{2} + (y+1)^{2} \\
9x^{2} + 18x + 9 + 9y^{2} - 18y - 9 = x^{2} - 4x + 4 + y^{2} + 2y + 2 \\
8x^{2} + 22x + 8y^{2} - 20y + 13 = 0 [/tex]

Doing this gives me the equation of a circle, which I don't think is a curve. After figuring out that the center of that circle was (-11/8, 5/4), the distance from the center to B is not 3 times the distance from the center to A. Then, I think my answer is wrong.

Reanalyzing the problem, I thought of a different approach which was to solve for the equation of a parabola knowing the directrix would be a line going through A(-1,1) and then the focus being (2,-1). However, this would make a slanted parabola and I have no idea how to make an equation for that.

You have written 3*d(A,P) = d(P,B), the exact opposite of what you want.

Likes 1 person
fire9132 said:
[tex] 3 \sqrt[2]{(x+1)^{2} + (y-1)^{2}} = \sqrt[2]{(x-2)^{2} + (y+1)^{2}}[/tex]
You have placed the multiple 3 on the wrong side of the equation here. Try again from that point.

Also, be careful when you expand the expressions as you've made a couple of sloppy errors in your subsequent lines of working too.

EDIT: Beaten to it by Ray!

Likes 1 person
Wow, I feel stupid for doing that. Finally got it now. Thank you all!

1. How do you determine the equation of a curve?

To determine the equation of a curve, you need to have a set of points that lie on the curve. Then, you can use mathematical methods such as regression analysis or calculus to find the best fitting equation for the curve.

2. What is regression analysis?

Regression analysis is a statistical method used to analyze the relationship between two or more variables. It is commonly used in determining the equation of a curve by finding the best fitting line or curve that represents the relationship between the variables.

3. What is the difference between linear and non-linear curves?

Linear curves have a constant rate of change and can be represented by a straight line, while non-linear curves have a changing rate of change and require a curved line to represent them. Determining the equation for a linear curve is simpler than a non-linear curve.

4. How can calculus be used to determine the equation of a curve?

Calculus uses the principles of differentiation and integration to find the slope and area under a curve, respectively. By finding the slope and area of a curve at different points, the equation of the curve can be determined.

5. Can the equation of a curve be determined exactly?

In most cases, the equation of a curve cannot be determined exactly. This is because real-world data often contains errors and the curve may not fit perfectly to a specific equation. However, using regression analysis and calculus, an equation can be determined that closely represents the behavior of the curve.