1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Determining the life time of a excited state.

1. Jul 10, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    The smallest uncertainty in the frequency of emitted light when excited atoms return to ground state for molecules is estimated to be 8 MHz. Use this information to estimate the lifetime of the excited states.
    I would like to know if I'm thinking correct.

2. Relevant equations
    Well here, it is a question we can take in general by having an uncertainty of the frequency at f = MHz.
    I took the hydrogen atom in which the energy levels in general can be written as

[itex]E_n=\frac{-13.6eV}{n^2}[/itex] where I then calculate the difference in energy for instance between state n = 1 and n = 2.

3. The attempt at a solution
    Can I then apply the energy-time uncertainty principle [itex]\Delta E \Delta t \ge \frac{\hbar}{2}[/itex] ?
    I'm not sure about this, science we have an uncertainty in FREQUENCY which makes me stuck.

Appreciate for help.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 10, 2012 #2

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Recall the general relation E = hf.

4. Jul 11, 2012 #3
    Can this be used as the uncertainty in energy in the energy-time uncertainty principle?
    (Im not very sure about this, scince I don't have a solution for this)

5. Jul 11, 2012 #4
    Need to mention that of course f = 8 MHz

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook