Determining the maximum braking power using derivations

In summary, according to the conversation, the braking force K: [0, ∞) → R of an eddy is a function of velocity given by ##\frac{v}{v^2+9}##At what speed does the braking force reach its greatest value?
arhzz
Homework Statement
The braking force K: [0, ∞) → R of an eddy is a function of velocity given by ##\frac{v}{v^2+9}##At what speed does the braking force reach its greatest value?
Relevant Equations
Differantiation
Hello! So what I've tried to tackle this problem is derive the equation,set it equal to zero,find a value for v and than put it in the second derivation.So when I derive this I get $$ \frac{v^2+9-v *(2v)}{v^4+8v^2+16)} $$ Now if i set that equal 0 and try to find a value for v I get this.

## -v^2 + 9 = 0 ## and now we have to values 3 and -3 Now if I do the second derivation I get this $$ \frac{4v*(v^2-9)}{(v^2+9)^3} - \frac{2v}{(v^2+9)^2} $$

Now if i input the value of 3 in I get -0,0185.And for - 3 the same but without the minus. so 0,0185 Now I'm not really sure this is right I'd reckon if it is only the value of -3 can be right because velocity can't be negative as far as I know.But do you reckon my method is correct or maybe I had a slip up in the derivation. Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
arhzz said:
Homework Statement:: The braking force K: [0, ∞) → R of an eddy is a function of velocity given by ##\frac{v}{v^2+9}##At what speed does the braking force reach its greatest value?
Relevant Equations:: Differantiation

ello! So what I've tried to tackle this problem is derive the equation,set it equal to zero,find a value for v and than put it in the second derivation.
If you want to maximize F with respect to v, you set ##\dfrac{dF}{dv}=0##, solve for v then put the value of v you found back into the expression for F. What do you mean by "second derivation"?

Note that F is a braking force and must be opposite to the velocity. If v is positive, F must be negative and vice-versa.

kuruman said:
If you want to maximize F with respect to v, you set ##\dfrac{dF}{dv}=0##, solve for v then put the value of v you found back into the expression for F. What do you mean by "second derivation"?

Note that F is a braking force and must be opposite to the velocity. If v is positive, F must be negative and vice-versa.
Oh okay,what I had in mind is to do it like in mathematics with when dealing with extrem of a function.But I'll try it this way.

arhzz said:
Oh okay,what I had in mind is to do it like in mathematics with when dealing with extrem of a function.But I'll try it this way.
This is mathematics. What you probably had in mind is taking the second derivative in order to determine whether the extremum is a maximum or a minimum.

kuruman said:
This is mathematics. What you probably had in mind is taking the second derivative in order to determine whether the extremum is a maximum or a minimum.
Exactly that! I just didnt know how to say it in english.Because I though the maximum should be the solution,I guessed since it said "when does it reach its greatest value" I assumed the maximum was the thing I sought.I've done as you have suggested and when I input -3 in K (or F as you say it) I get K(-3) = -0,16777

arhzz said:
Exactly that! I just didnt know how to say it in english.Because I though the maximum should be the solution,I guessed since it said "when does it reach its greatest value" I assumed the maximum was the thing I sought.I've done as you have suggested and when I input -3 in K (or F as you say it) I get K(-3) = -0,16777
That sounds right.

Likes arhzz
kuruman said:
That sounds right.
Perfect,thank you!

Likes kuruman

1. What is the formula for calculating maximum braking power?

The formula for calculating maximum braking power is:
Maximum Braking Power = Coefficient of Friction * Total Weight * Acceleration due to Gravity

2. How do you determine the coefficient of friction for a given surface?

The coefficient of friction can be determined by conducting friction experiments or by consulting tables that list the coefficients of various materials on different surfaces.

3. Can the maximum braking power be greater than the engine power of a vehicle?

Yes, the maximum braking power can be greater than the engine power of a vehicle. This is because the maximum braking power is dependent on factors such as the coefficient of friction and the weight of the vehicle, while the engine power is only one component of the vehicle's overall performance.

4. How does the weight of a vehicle affect its maximum braking power?

The weight of a vehicle has a direct impact on its maximum braking power. A heavier vehicle will require more braking force to come to a stop, and therefore will have a higher maximum braking power compared to a lighter vehicle.

5. What is the significance of determining the maximum braking power?

Determining the maximum braking power is important for ensuring the safety and efficiency of a vehicle. It allows for proper braking system design and helps drivers understand the limits of their vehicle's braking capabilities.