Maximum voltage in the primary circuit of a transformer

lorenz0
Homework Statement
The primary circuit of a transformer has ##N=240## windings, each one with area ##S=10cm^2##. In the primary circuit flows a sinusoidally alternating current. The magnetic field in the iron core of the transformer goes from the maximum value of ##B_0=65mT## along the direction perpendicular to the windings to the exact same value but in the opposite direction in ##\Delta t=10 ms##.

Find the maximum voltage in the primary circuit.
Relevant Equations
##V=-N\frac{d\phi(\vec{B})}{dt}##, ##V_{max}=\sqrt{2}V_{eff}##
The alternating current will create an induced voltage given by ##V=-N\frac{d\phi(\vec{B})}{dt}=-N\frac{\Delta\phi(\vec{B})}{\Delta t}=N\frac{2 B_0 S}{\Delta t}=\frac{240\cdot 2\cdot 65\cdot 10^{-3}\cdot 10\cdot 10^{-4}}{10\cdot 10^{-3}}=3.12 V## and since this is the effective voltage, the maximum voltage will be ##V_{max}=\sqrt{2}V_{eff}=\sqrt{2}\cdot 3.12 V\approx 4.4 V##. Now, the result given is ##4.9 V## but I haven't been able to figure out where I have made a mistake so I would be grateful if someone could point it out to me, thanks.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
lorenz0 said:
Homework Statement: The primary circuit of a transformer has ##N=240## windings, each one with area ##S=10cm^2##. In the primary circuit flows a sinusoidally alternating current. ...
You seem to do ##\Delta \Phi/\Delta t## as if it were a sawtooth ...

##\ ##

Last edited:
Likes lorenz0 and berkeman
BvU said:
You seem to do ##\Delta \Phi/\Delta t## as if it were a sawtooth ...

##\ ##
Ah, I think I have understood now. Since ##V(t)=V_0\sin(\omega t)## it must be that ##B(t)=B_0\cos(\omega t)## with ##\omega=2\pi f=\frac{2\pi}{T}=\frac{2\pi}{2\delta t}=100\pi\ \frac{rad}{s}## so that ##V(t)=V_0\sin(\omega t)=-N\frac{d\phi(\vec{B})}{dt}=-N\frac{d}{dt}\left( B_0\cos(\omega t)S )\right)=NB_0S\omega\sin(\omega t)## thus ##V_0=NB_0S\omega=240\cdot 65\cdot 10^{-3}\cdot 10^{-3}\cdot 100\pi\ V\approx 4.9\ V.##

Likes berkeman

1. What is the maximum voltage in the primary circuit of a transformer?

The maximum voltage in the primary circuit of a transformer is determined by the design of the transformer and the input voltage it is rated for. It is important to never exceed this maximum voltage to prevent damage to the transformer.

2. How is the maximum voltage in the primary circuit of a transformer calculated?

The maximum voltage in the primary circuit of a transformer is typically calculated by multiplying the rated voltage of the transformer by a certain factor, known as the safety margin. This safety margin accounts for fluctuations in the input voltage and ensures the transformer operates within safe limits.

3. What happens if the maximum voltage in the primary circuit of a transformer is exceeded?

If the maximum voltage in the primary circuit of a transformer is exceeded, it can lead to overheating of the transformer, insulation breakdown, and potentially a short circuit. This can cause damage to the transformer and other connected equipment.

4. Can the maximum voltage in the primary circuit of a transformer be adjusted?

The maximum voltage in the primary circuit of a transformer is typically set by the manufacturer and cannot be easily adjusted. It is important to select a transformer with the appropriate voltage rating for the application to ensure safe and reliable operation.

5. How can I ensure that the maximum voltage in the primary circuit of a transformer is not exceeded?

To ensure that the maximum voltage in the primary circuit of a transformer is not exceeded, it is important to carefully select a transformer with the appropriate voltage rating for the application. Regular maintenance and monitoring of the input voltage can also help prevent any potential issues with voltage spikes or fluctuations.