Determining the satellite's altitude above the surface of the Earth

In summary, the satellite's altitude above the surface of the Earth can be determined using the equation v^2=(G*Mearth)/r. Using the given values for the speed, radius, and mass of the Earth, the satellite's altitude is calculated to be approximately 8970.985321km.
torquey123

Homework Statement

A satellite moves in a circular orbit around the Earth at a speed of 5.1km/s.
Determine the satellite's altitude above the suface of the Earth. Assume the Earth is a homogenous sphere of radius Rearth= 6370km, and mass Mearth=5.98x10^24 kg. You will need G=6.67259x10^(-11) Nm^2/kg^2. Answer in units of km

Homework Equations

v^2=(G*Mass of earth)/(radius)

The Attempt at a Solution

(5100 km/s)^2 = (6.67259x10^(-11))(5.98x10^(24))/r

26010000r=3.990190282e14

r= 15340985.32 - 6370000= 8970985.321m = 8970.985321km

i think its wrong, but i don't know where i made the mistake..

Physics news on Phys.org
never mind...i figured it out when i typed it out...i didnt convert back to km :eek:

I would like to commend you on your attempt at solving this problem. However, there are a few mistakes in your solution. Firstly, the given speed of 5.1km/s is the orbital speed of the satellite, not its velocity. Therefore, we need to use the equation v^2 = GM/R, where M is the mass of the Earth, R is the distance between the center of the Earth and the satellite's orbit, and v is the orbital speed. Secondly, we need to convert the given values to SI units (meters and kilograms) before plugging them into the equation.

So, using the correct equation and converting the values, we get:

(5100 m/s)^2 = (6.67259x10^(-11) Nm^2/kg^2)(5.98x10^(24) kg)/R

26010000 = 3.990190282e14/R

R = 3.990190282e14/26010000 = 15340985.32m

Now, to find the altitude above the surface of the Earth, we need to subtract the radius of the Earth from the distance between the center of the Earth and the satellite's orbit:

Altitude = 15340985.32m - 6370000m = 8970985.32m = 8970.98532km

Therefore, the satellite's altitude above the surface of the Earth is approximately 8971km. This is a reasonable answer, as most satellites in low Earth orbit have altitudes between 160km and 2000km.

1. How is the satellite's altitude above the surface of the Earth determined?

The satellite's altitude above the surface of the Earth is determined using a combination of ground-based tracking and onboard sensors. Ground-based tracking involves using radar or laser measurements to track the satellite's position and calculate its altitude. Onboard sensors, such as altimeters or GPS receivers, also provide data on the satellite's altitude.

2. What factors influence the accuracy of determining a satellite's altitude?

The accuracy of determining a satellite's altitude can be influenced by a variety of factors, including the quality and availability of tracking data, the precision of onboard sensors, and atmospheric conditions. Other factors such as the satellite's orbit and any external forces acting on it can also affect the accuracy of altitude measurements.

3. How do changes in the Earth's gravitational field affect a satellite's altitude?

Changes in the Earth's gravitational field can affect a satellite's altitude by causing it to either increase or decrease over time. This can occur due to variations in the Earth's mass distribution, such as changes in ocean tides or shifts in the Earth's crust. These changes can also impact the satellite's orbit and require adjustments to maintain a desired altitude.

4. Can satellites maintain a constant altitude above the Earth's surface?

Yes, satellites can maintain a constant altitude above the Earth's surface through the use of propulsion systems. These systems allow the satellite to make small adjustments to its orbit and altitude in order to counteract any external forces and maintain a stable position. However, over time, factors such as atmospheric drag and changes in the Earth's gravitational field can still cause fluctuations in a satellite's altitude.

5. Why is it important to accurately determine a satellite's altitude above the Earth's surface?

Accurately determining a satellite's altitude is crucial for many reasons. It allows for precise tracking and positioning of the satellite, which is essential for communication and navigation purposes. Additionally, knowing the exact altitude of a satellite is important for predicting and avoiding potential collisions with other objects in space. It also helps to ensure the proper functioning of the satellite's onboard instruments and systems, as many of them rely on specific altitude ranges to operate effectively.